Sunday, December 04, 2011

Who am I kidding?

Yesterday I was trying to figure out what sort of vegetable to serve with today's dinner.  Creamed peas?  Glazed carrots?  Of course, I could always open a few cans of green beans.  
Then I thought about my guest list:  The queen of England isn't among the people invited, nor is the President of the United States; why am I worrying about cooking a vegetable to go with a meal that's 80% starch?  Am I trying to impress anybody?  
Nope.  Besides, probably only two or three people would eat some peas or carrots or green beans, just to be polite.
This is family, for pete's sake.  We don't need no stinkin' vegetable.  Anyway, there's a little broccoli in the green rice, and some sweet potatoes in the sweet potato pie.  And I've decided to pretend that deviled eggs are a vegetable.   Oh yeah, and don't forget the mashed potatoes!
So there.


It isn't that I don't like vegetables.  When it's just me and Cliff, I make sure to balance our diet properly.  But why would I sweat about a balanced diet at a holiday meal?  I happen to know that the people who are coming are not worried about this meal being balanced.

5 comments:

  1. Lindie10:42 AM

    Personally, I like vegetables. Plain. Maybe with a little butter. No creams or glazes. I could live on vegetables only 4 days a week. Not a vegetarian! I don't do so much carbs. When I need them my body suddenly craves them. I like red beans and rice. Or a baked potato. When I make chicken soup it has a LOT of vegetables in it. I made pea soup last night with tomatoes and carrots in it. Just a little bit of pork.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do too, Lindie. But it's the holidays. This is a holiday meal. All rules are off. I know what this group likes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's your event, do what you want. Family isn't going to complain. I think your noodles TRUMP everything. So have plenty of them. They sound really yummy! I will confess we LOVE veggies here. Snow peas, Cauliflower, Carrots and Corn are my favorites. I HATE broccoli.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The veggies are my favorite part of the meal, but I'm all about a nice green salad!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That reminds me. I once wrote a headline for a high-end grocery store that was featuring a very expensive crown roast for the holiday season. "Suppose the Queen of England was coming to dinner? Whose crown roast would you serve?" Okay, I didn't say it was a GOOD headline.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!