Thursday, September 11, 2008

The flag


I don't own an American flag. I guess I'm so lazy that I'm afraid I wouldn't honor it properly. Lots of people in my neighborhood chose to fly a flag today, on 9/11. Those flags are still out there tonight in the rain.

My sister is a winter Texan.
Every morning when she's living in Texas, she raises the flag outside her home (that's her in the picture). Each evening, she lowers it. You see, her late, beloved husband fought for this country in World War II.

That flag means so much to her that she intends to honor it.
I love my sister.

And I love my country. If I ever decide to display a United States flag, I promise I will display it with due respect, remembering my dear brother-in-law and my Uncle Paul and my son, all of whom fought for this country. I will honor what they gave up for that flag.

I won't deliberately let that flag hang out there overnight in a rainstorm.

3 comments:

  1. Amen sister!

    Loved your Wally World story. I go there about twice a year only if I have to. I always make the mistake of changing lines and end up taking longer then it would of in the original line. You'd think I would learn. Yes, I feel sorry for that guy too. He must be a miserable person to try to start a fight like that. Hey, he could've changed lines if he had wanted to. I'm glad Cliff didn't have to duke it out!!

    Your new home looks so nice! You've done so much outside, I love all the new shrubs. Picture perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such dedication and patriotism.

    In Singapore, we only put out our flag during the month of our Independence or National Day.

    The flag will hang outside all month long... rain or shine before we take it down.

    All I know, here only military camps do it daily.

    I'm not so sure if we have deep patriotic cause to fly the flag, we wouldn't want any tragic cause either; but we love our country just the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:53 PM

    What a great sentiment, a great tribute to loved ones.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!