Thursday, November 01, 2007

Childhood dreams



A man named Randy Pausch (pictured above) was recently brought to my attention, thanks to a blogger who happened to see him on Oprah and wrote about him. I googled his name and found several interesting and inspiring things on the web by him, and about him. I read with interest his "Last Lecture" transcript, which is all about "really achieving your childhood dreams". So I reached far back into my store of memories and asked myself, "What were my childhood dreams?"

Turns out they were pretty darned simple. I've only been able to remember four:


1. I wanted a horse.

2. I wanted some babies.
3. I wanted a farm with some woods I could wander around in.

4. I wanted to be an Indian.


1. I don't know what made me want a horse so badly; perhaps it was the old cowboy-and-Indian comic books I read with a passion. Roy Rogers and Dale Evans (my heroes) had horses, you know. I remember crying myself to sleep after being told there was no way I could have a pony.
Obviously, that dream has come true.

2. I was never much of a kid to play with dolls. But one year, I think around Christmas-time, my brother and his family came to visit. His wife, Wilma, had just had a baby boy. Because we had company in the house and they were occupying my bed, I was sleeping on a hide-a-bed in the living room. One morning Wilma came into the living room as I was still lying in bed and laid that brand-new infant, Ronnie, down beside me; something about the faint, tiny sounds he made, and his sweet breath on my cheek, made me want babies so badly I could taste it. I was perhaps seven or eight years old at the time. For a few months after that, I played with dolls, imagining they were my babies. As a teenager, I even fancied myself having a dozen babies, and I made lists of names for all of them.
After having two, I realized I wasn't equipped to handle that big a tribe of children. In fact, I've often had doubts about how well I raised the ones I had. Anyhow, my baby dream came true.

3. Growing up, I spent considerable time at my grandma's forty acres, as well as at Uncle Leo's farm, right up the road from her. I'm sure this inspired my dream of owning a similar place. But what firmly set the dream in my mind was a brief spell, after the local switchboard (our family livelihood) closed, when we lived on what seemed like our own farm. Daddy was hired farm-hand for Glen Wyant, on whose place we lived; and Mother went to work at a local dry-goods and grocery store. I suppose we were there for less than a year, but it was the happiest time of my life. With both parents working all day, I was on my own to play with kittens in the barn, pick wild strawberries and blackberries, and pretend to be an Indian in the woods. Sometimes I'd sneak up to the fence-line and feed sugar to Glen's pinto horse, longing to ride him. Once I sneaked up there with some other kid (I don't recall who) and attempted to get on him. Glen's wife, Opal, could see us from her house and yelled for us to get out of there. But I digress.

We moved to Kansas City, and I mourned the loss of our farm home. I prayed for a place of my own like the Wyant place.
My mother saved this poem I wrote as a twelve-year-old, homesick for the country:


Cliff and I are living on the second property in our lifetime that fits that description. The living-in-the-country dream came true.

4. That leaves the dream of being an Indian. OK, I got over that one, having realized you can't "become" a native American. But Randy Pausch says this, in his speech: "At a certain point you just realize there are some things you are not going to do, so maybe you just want to stand close to the people."
I guess that's what I'm doing back at the cabin when I listen to Floyd Westerman, and numerous authentic Native American music CD's.

One way or another, I have achieved all of my childhood dreams. How many people can say that?



----------------
Now playing: Jerry Lee Lewis; Jimmy Page - Rock and Roll
via FoxyTunes

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:37 AM

    I came upon your blog thru Pioneer Woman (isn't she great?). I too have horses and love them. I was lucky as a kid, my Dad bought my 1st pony when I was 6. I have loved them ever since. I am in Western Kentucky, do you ever trail ride?

    Lisa
    anniebettyjobunny@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:01 AM

    I just love this entry,
    Me and you have so much in common.. It's funny even though you are 30 years older than me.
    I love that poem.. And it pretty neat that you still have it.
    Take care :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great poem and a thought provoking post. I'm going to have to give it some thought about what my childhood dreams were. I know one was to have a horse and we did have a few growing up. Another was to marry a man that wore a suit and worked in business. Isn't that an odd one but I think it's because I saw how hard my father worked in the woods on those cold cold days from dawn till dusk. And I did marry a business man that wears a suit except when he is out cleaning stalls! ha! I'm going to think on this one some more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog. Your first dream and mine are so much alike. Roy Rogers was my 'hero' because he rode a horse. And my parents wouldn't let me have a horse or pony either. They said that when Dad retired we would get a farm. We didn't. But - at the age of 48 I finally got my horse. At 50 I got my second one. And at 51 my husband and I bought 2 acreas where we could have the horses. Its not a farm but I can have the horses, now up to 6, and my 3 dogs and 3 cats. You can read about them at html.tumblweedcrossing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we were the same kid! I always wanted:
    1) To live in the country
    2) To own horses
    3) To be an Indian
    4) I was always good with younger kids, but I'm not sure I wanted them till later. I never played with dolls.
    Oh, there are more childhood dreams! I'm happy to say that I've lived quite a few of them in one way or another. And sometimes when I walk through the woods, I still pretend I'm an Indian, just like my dad taught me to. Actually we played Indian and he read Hiawatha so much that I was convinced we were part Indian well into adulthood. We aren't:o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Donna, this post touched my heart so many times. How wonderful for you to still have that poem. What memories to treasure.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!