Thursday, November 29, 2007

drugs

As a result of a torn meniscus in my right knee, walking causes me incredible pain right now. Sitting or lying down (as long as I don't try to turn over) I'm fine; walking or squatting, or just the act of getting from a standing to a sitting position or visa versa, hurts like crazy; badly enough that I groan or even yell sometimes. Because of this, I'm not presently doing much in the way of physical activity: no daily walk, no horseback riding. Even getting on the motorcycle is not worth the cost in pain. Lord knows I'm afraid to get on the bathroom scale, since I don't do much more than watch TV and surf the Internet. And I'm incredibly grouchy; can't you tell?

Arthroscopic surgery is scheduled for one week from today, and I have never in my life been so anxious to have a medical procedure done. I had this problem with my left knee, three years ago; the surgery ended the sharp pain at that time. My knees are still bone-on-bone arthritic, but that's a dull pain that I can live with for now.

At my last appointment I asked the orthopedist if I could have something for pain while waiting for surgery, and she wrote out a prescription for Darvocet. While it does take some of the edge off the pain, it surely doesn't dull it much, and it often upsets my stomach. I called the office to see if they had anything else in their bag of tricks. A prescription was called in for Hydrocodone. OK, this helps the pain quite a bit more, makes me a little fuzzy-headed, and.... gives me acid indigestion. And I only allow myself to take two, once a day, because of their reputation for becoming habit-forming.

According to everything I've read on the Internet, both these drugs are popular on the street as "party drugs". I tell you, dear readers, I feel like anything but partying after taking either of them! If two capsules make me feel the way these do, I can't imagine what you'd feel like after taking a handful.

Today I'll be limping into the dentist's office to keep an appointment. How can life get any better? I won't be taking any drugs before I go, because I don't need acid indigestion while I'm reclining in the dentist chair.

Meanwhile, I count the moments until next Thursday. And I pray that the procedure that helped my left knee will be effective on my right one.

Sorry about such a downer of a blog entry; it just happens to be my day to gripe!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:04 AM

    Donna,

    If you can get your hands on a bottle of Equi-tite or Equi-Block -
    it's what they use on horse's legs.
    You'll probably have to order it online. In the meantime, go to Wal-Mart and get some capsaicin rub - that should help some. I use the Equi-Block on my knees and it really helps ease the everyday pain from the arthritis.

    Sharon
    creekscout@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna, why won't they just give you Vicodin? I've always had great success with that for my dental ills, and especially when I cut my thumb knuckle open.
    Whatever, I'm just glad the surgery is coming soon. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you will be glad to get this over with! I am so sorry thyat you are in so much pain.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!