Saturday, November 03, 2007

What is a childhood without dreams?

Before I blogged about my childhood dreams, I had a discussion with my husband about the subject; he gave me what I consider to be one of the saddest statements I've ever heard: he said, "I don't remember having any dreams when I was a kid."

Now I have to tell you, Cliff's family gave new meaning to the word "dysfunctional". I don't mean to speak ill of the dead, and his parents did the best they knew how with the resources they had, I'm sure. It's just that Cliff was the oldest child in the house, and he got stuck, many times, with being in charge. He grew up being part of a family that moved "every time the rent came due", as he puts it. He knew what it was like to go to the door and tell a bill collector that his parents weren't home, when they were. It was too much responsibility for one so young. Cliff only saw one way of life, growing up; and he assumed it was the only way. He had no way of knowing that he could choose to get out of that rut.

An illustration of things that destroyed any hope for him: He started working at a young age, and when he was sixteen, he wanted a motorcycle. So his parents signed for him, and he got an old Harley on credit. He was making his payments just fine, but his mom and dad took bankruptcy. Of course the motorcycle was lost in the deal.

When we first got married, I said something about how we ought to start looking for a house to buy; Cliff thought I was nuts. His parents had once tried owning a home, and they lost it before much time passed. Home ownership, to him, was an impossible dream. Something for people far richer than we were.

I can't imagine what it would be like to be a kid with no hopes and dreams, nothing more than just "getting through this day".

Today I pray for the children, all over the world, who have no opportunity to dream. Those who have had their childhoods stolen from them.

And I thank God that my parents gave me a childhood. I'm not so sure it's ended, even yet!

----------------
Now playing: ZZ Top - Sharp Dressed Man
via FoxyTunes

5 comments:

  1. I've know two people with similar childhoods. I'll add my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:36 AM

    I am so grateful for my parents and the childhood they allowed me to have. I have many happy memories. My husband, however, grew up in a house with 5 siblings, his Mother whom it loved dearly and an alcholic stepfather that beat them regularly. He still carries so much of that with him and it shows every day. Prayers here too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:36 AM

    I am so grateful for my parents and the childhood they allowed me to have. I have many happy memories. My husband, however, grew up in a house with 5 siblings, his Mother whom it loved dearly and an alcholic stepfather that beat them regularly. He still carries so much of that with him and it shows every day. Prayers here too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chiming in here: HERE'S TO CHILDHOOD DREAMS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!