Thursday, July 07, 2022

Four days, six nights. Our son's visit.

Our son, his daughter, and granddaughter came from Georgia for their annual July visit.

Cliff with two great-granddaughters

Son and father walking to the barn to find scrap metal for their project

Our son and his son working on the project, a canopy to keep the sun off the tractor-driver's head     


 Granddaughter Mae helping me break beans from the garden on Monday.  I cooked them, drained them, and poured a home-made cheese sauce over them.  Mae ate a lot of them!

It's always a busy time when Jim comes.  I try to cook all his favorite things when he's here, so I did a lot of cooking.  It's worth it when it is appreciated, which it was.  I don't have a lot of big dinners, so I often wonder if I will be able to do a good job on the old recipes I seldom use.  I think I did fine this year.  I cooked a brisket before we had any guests, chilled the whole thing in the refrigerator, then sliced it thinly.  With my daughter's help, on Friday the whole crew had grilled brisket-and-cheese sandwiches.  She applied the mayo and added the meat and American cheese, then I buttered both sides and grilled them.  This is a family favorite that went a lot smoother with Rachel's help.  Two or three people had a second sandwich.  We went through more that a loaf of bread!  Saturday, the second of July, we had our big dinner out at Cliff's shop.  That's when other relatives (in-laws, cousins, ex-inlaws) and friends come and everybody brings food.  Sunday Rachel made Lasagna for our family, and Monday I cooked "Sunday dinner":  Noodles, roast beef, fresh green beans in cheese sauce, mashed potatoes, and gravy... with brownie pudding and ice cream for dessert.  The grandson didn't do fireworks this year; Gabe, Blue, and Mama Kitty were thankful for that.

There are some silly family feuds going on, so we don't get to see all of our great-grandchildren; but I won't let others' opinions ruin the relationships we still have.  I am too near the grave to let negative people spoil my peace.  And by the way, I'm not feuding with anybody!  No use worrying about people and things you can't control.

Speaking about being near the grave, I turned 78 years old today.  I got up this morning, sat down in a recliner, and went back to sleep.  When Cliff was trying to make coffee, I woke up and told him I'd do it (he always says the coffee isn't as good when he makes it).  So I picked up the can of Folgers, it slipped out of my hand, fell  on the floor where the lid popped off, and half  a can of Folgers coffee went all over the floor.  Happy birthday to me; I hope that isn't how the whole year will go.  Cliff asked me if there was any place he could take me for my birthday and I told him I wanted a rain check, since this day didn't start out right.  So at some point when the stars are aligned properly we will go to Joe's Kansas City Barbecue and eat ribs.  

Peace.   

10 comments:

  1. You seem young to me. I am 86 and will be 87 in December

    ReplyDelete
  2. My ex-daughter-in-law tries to keep the children away from me. I don't call them, they call me. as they get older they see what she is doing. I never talk about her to them, though she has told them horrible things about me. Told them I tried to kill their cat when they were younger. The cat was fine and with her when she made the accusation and I was in Missouri, while they live in Minnesota. Took them awhile to see how absurd her accusation was. I remained silent throughout. Life is too short to deal with people and their games!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My problem is a granddaughter who is actually feuding with her mom, my daughter. But she will not come here if her mother is here. It's crazy.

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday, Donna. You are special to me. The brisket sounds so delicious. Glad you cooked for Jim. I’m with you about the fussing. It not worth the trouble it causes. I pray to do my best to uplift everyone I meet, but sometimes I still mess up. I’m no where near a perfected spot in my life. I’m so glad Jesus loves.

    I’d have just put all that coffee I could back in the can..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Family feuds are disheartening but most of us experience them. I am estranged (as you know) from most of my husband's family and some of my own. I'm OK with it and it doesn't cause me any pain, although it did at first. Your meals sound delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a blessed birthday, Donna. It's best not to think about age. I stopped counting when I was forty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not ashamed of my age. I could do with less aches and pains, though.

      Delete
  6. Happy belated birthday! What a classic ploy from Cliff! I always tell my wife she does things better for me so that she DOES them for me! She does the same thing to me so I guess it all works out in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Monica10:29 PM

    Happy Birthday 🎂 to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Belated Birthday. I'm with you on staying out of family squabbles. Life's to short to worry about that and take part in it. No thank you. All your meals sound delicious. I am going to buy a brisket and try cooking it for my grandson's birthday party I think. Wendy

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!