Monday, July 18, 2022

Maybe I complained too soon

I used to love reading books by Norman Vincent Peale because he was always so positive about things.  I first discovered him around the age of 13 when I checked out a book called "The Power of Positive Thinking for Young People".  I often remember little phrases and sayings of his, one of which was, "Don't think about what you don't have; just concentrate on what you HAVE."

Although I talked about some things I was thankful for in the last entry, I really wasn't very positive about my garden, so here's a do-over.

Yes, the tomato plants, all five of them, are blighty, some more than others.  But I neglected to mention the tomatoes we have right now, like these on the kitchen windowsill:

I don't know how long we'll have tomatoes to eat, but I'll stop worrying about it until we don't have any.

I brought these beets in to pickle.

Remember the okra plants that were so short?  I've watered them twice with the soaker hose, and they are growing taller, although still not higher than my head like usual.  We've had okra twice, once fried and once smothered (okra and tomatoes).  And I have more in the refrigerator.

I have faithfully watered the sweet corn I planted in hills, and things are looking good.  There isn't even a sign of bugs among the "tossels", as my dad used to call tassels.

There are some big ears of corn on those stalks.


Here's the sickly eggplant I bought for half-price.
I've carried a lot of water to it, and there are several blooms on it.

I'm telling you, folks, letting the cucumber vines climb a fence is the way to go!


I had a mystery plant growing on the fence in another spot.  I can now announce to you that it's a volunteer cantaloupe vine.


I've harvested most of my potatoes and onions.  Potatoes are in the two boxes in the foreground; the smaller box holds my favorite potatoes, Yukon Gold.  Laying on top of a big television box are the onions.


Yes, the potatoes are on the smallish side, but I do have plenty  of them.  Oops, I see a stray onion in the potato box.  

It's still going to be hot for quite a while, but that just gives us something to complain about... if we're going to complain, it may as well be about the weather.

Rest in peace, Norman Vincent Peale; your positive words are still guiding me.



12 comments:

  1. For me, any produce, no matter how much, is worth the price of a garden. I just love eating something that I know exactly where it came from and what it took to grow it. Our potato plants are still green and vigorous looking so we continue to just dig them as needed. Thus far, it looks like a great year for potatoes. Our sweetcorn is still probably a couple weeks out and the last time I saw it, it looked like the aftermath of a racoon barroom brawl. I'm not sure we will get anything this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reminder that being positive is ALWAYS a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't agree more!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are doing quite well and glad Norman reminded you to look. As for that Cantaloupe- you will be so amazed at how sweet vine ripened cantaloupe are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It all looks lovely. I miss okra. My son had a "wild" cantaloupe growing from the kitchen scraps in his huge compost bin. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved seeing your harvest so far, Donna....and I like all kinds of posts, both complaining & praising. Because both are a part of life after all. ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, it all looks great. All those potatoes! I love pickled beets. You have been blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent news! I would love some fresh corn. I like how you try to have a positive attitude. I'm working on mine lately.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a good harvest to me!! I have had one cucumber and two tomatoes so far, along with a handful of greens. Watching and waiting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous9:22 PM

    I love that you still have a garden. It’s not something I could do in this hot and dry land. You’re as wonderful as ever, Donna. Blessings, Penny

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I am so impressed and so jealous! Your garden looks super healthy and bountiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The squash bugs hit most everyone's garden here last week. I saw complaints about it all over FB. Because of my husband's surgery, we elected not to have a garden this year. I do miss the fresh veggies.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!