Thursday, October 31, 2019

About those passwords

One of my readers commented that it should have been easy to retrieve my Apple password, saying she has an iPad, and iPhone, an iPod, and a Macbook, so I should have been able to get to my password by way of one of those.  Well, I do have an iPad, but the problem was that Apple locked me out for typing in the wrong password too many times.  I logged in with recovery mode more times that I care to think about, following their directions.  The computer stopped letting me in, entirely. There is a place to type in your password when in recovery mode but it was grayed out and it didn't let me type anywhere.  The people talked me through several different solutions.  And I do have a list of passwords, two notebook pages long.  When I have to change a password, I update the list.  However, sometimes I can't find a particular password and when I look at the list, I miss seeing the old ones until I need to see it, then I see I have two different passwords in two different spots on the list.  I just counted, and I have 81 passwords.  Some for our smart TV and the apps thereon, some for Kindle, some for Libby (the app for library books), grocery store websites, Amazon, Kohls, the site I log into to see how my blood tests came out after I've been to the doctors, the bank... I'll stop there, but surely you get the picture.  You try keeping track of 80 passwords and let me know how you do it.  Meanwhile, my husband stayed outside away from my mess-up, muttering about why I would ever buy such an inferior product as a MacBook.  I tried to explain to him that I was the inferior product, not this fine Apple computer.

We had about an inch of snow this morning, but it's gone now.  Now it's just nasty out, sun is shining but there's mud everywhere.  It's been so cold I haven't had my walk for four days, but I did hop on the exercise bike yesterday so it wouldn't be too hard to walk when I finally go again.  

One day this week I was within a pound of my goal of 152 pounds, but it's slow going.  I weigh most mornings, but Cliff does weekly weigh-ins because he doesn't like all the ups and downs of weighing daily; I know how weight loss works, so I learn from the ups and downs.  

Cliff had lost four pounds Sunday morning.

I don't have much to blog about right now, but I wanted to explain, as well as possible, what happened with the Mac.  It must be a very unusual occurrence, because none of the four people at Apple who helped me out had ever been in quite that situation before.  Leave it to me to be the first!

Just call me a trend-setter.  Yeah, that's it.

Sincerely yours,
Donna


4 comments:

  1. I'm glad it's resolved. I HATE password issues. I had to resort to my notes when I was in Scotland and using my iPhone to access a few sites. My computer remembers my passwords, but the iPhone doesn't sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate it when they want a new one. I would rather take my changes and keep what I have.
    Some sites will take the old as the new not realizing they are the same. Some won’t though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, Sister-Three! My bank wants a different one every 90 days. I have a time dreaming up a new password that often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Synchronicity. Same thing happened to me tonight with the passwords. I have over a 100. And had many changes. Couldn't find the right one to log into my Facebook account after never needing the password since the first time. I almost screamed. Couldn't get it. They locked me out. Eventually after 4 hours , it worked. You made me smile. It's nice to know I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!