Monday, August 19, 2019

It's been a fun weekend

Saturday we had a parade in Lexington with our club.  Cliff has made three different carriers for me to sit in behind the tractors.  Now we only have two, because he sold one with the little Farmall Super C; actually, that one wasn't so much a carrier as a simple seat for me to ride on.  No matter how I'm being transported behind any tractor, Cliff and I are amazed at how people laugh and give us thumbs-up when they see us.  They think it's the funniest thing ever seeing a woman ride behind a tractor like that.  So this is us Saturday toward the end of the parade.



There were a lot of tractors in the parade.

Now, Sunday Cliff took me to the Truman Lake Opry to see Bill Anderson.  My poor husband was pretty indifferent about it, since he never cared for the man's singing.  I didn't either either, but after finding out what a prolific songwriter he is, and watching him in discussions with the other country singers on Country's Family Reunion, I've learned to love him.  

As it turns out, it was a great show, and I was glad to see Cliff applauding enthusiastically for the music, and laughing at the jokes.  Old Whisperin' Bill is a really good showman.  I took my copy of his book to get it autographed, but I sure had to stand in line for awhile to get it done.  That's me down there, turned around talking to some of my fellow fans of the 81-year-old man we came to see.
You don't see many young folks here

So I got my book autographed and got my picture taken.  Cliff blurred the picture of the signing, but at least this one turned out fine. 
Don't you suppose he gets tired of wearing a big fake smile for about 100 lady fans who just want to get a picture with him before he dies of old age.  I asked him about that, and he replied, "Somebody's gotta do it."  

Cliff agreed with me that the hairpiece Bill was wearing yesterday was the best one he's ever had.  We watch Country's Family Reunion shows that cover a twenty-one year period, and some of his hairpieces weren't all that flattering.  Seriously, this is the best ever.  

Bill told some good jokes, some we'd never heard before.  He also told a few life stories.  Here's one I enjoyed:  Bill said he met up with Jamie Johnson and Buddy Cannon back in 2006 with the idea of collaborating on a new song.  As they began, Bill said, "I really didn't bring any ideas today."  Buddy Cannon said, "I don't have anything either."  Jamie Johnson said, "Well... I'm in the middle of a divorce."

Bill said, "What country songwriter couldn't make a song out of a divorce?"  And they began writing the song "Give it Away".  (What you see next are paraphrased, since I wasn't recording or taking notes on what Mr. Anderson was saying.)

At one point, Bill said to Jamey, "I don't think you want the word "flung" written into a song."

Jamey answered, "But that's what she did!  She flung the ring at me!"  So the words remained in the song that was a giant hit for George Strait.  

When that front door swung wide open
She flung her diamond ring
Said, give it away
Just give it away

So, in 2007 when the song became song of the year of 2006, George, Bill, and Jamie rose and went to the stage.  Bill did the usual brief thank-you speech thanking everyone involved in his career.  George Strait, the same yada yada yada.  Jamey stepped up to the mike and said, "I want to thank my ex-wife for divorcing me..."

Before I stop, I want to let you know that not every song Bill Anderson wrote was so great.  For instance, "Peel Me a Nanner, Toss Me a Peanut"; or "Walk Out Backwards so I'll Think You're walkin' In."

Yes, it was a fun concert and a good weekend.  Oh, and here's the autograph in my book; If I hadn't seen him sign it, I wouldn't even believe it says Bill Anderson... because it doesn't!  It's the real deal, though:  I looked up other autographs he's done over the years, and this is pretty much it.     




4 comments:

  1. It does look like a lot of weekend fun for you ! Love the names of some of those lesser known songs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! I am glad you both enjoyed the concert!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun weekend! Some of those country titles crack me up. Patt told me once about a song named "I bought the shoes that walked out on me"--was that real or was he making it up? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. how exciting. sounds like a fun weekend indeed.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!