Friday, August 02, 2019

We've been to Omaha

We were discussing perhaps going to Colorado this week or next, but we changed our plans, deciding to go there in September instead.  We've always gone in the hottest part of summer, so this might be a positive change.  Maybe it'll be cooler in September.  However, I wanted a minor road trip right now.  We were discussing going to Omaha last spring, but about the time we would have gone, most of the country started being flooded.  I-29, the road we take to Omaha, had water over it for a long, long time, so I put the trip on the back burner.  There is still water right up to the edge of the highway up around Craig, Missouri.  

As we left our motel yesterday morning to start home, Cliff told me he intended to gas up before we left the city, but both of us forgot about it.  We were twenty miles out of Omaha when Cliff thought about it, and gas stations aren't plentiful along that stretch of highway for quite awhile.  Finally we saw a filling station sign ahead at an exit ramp.  However, our relief was short-lived.  As we neared the station, it was obvious it had been flooded and, at least for now, abandoned.  And we were just then starting to get to the worst stretch of road, as far as flooding is concerned.  

The old Mercury gets decent gas mileage, but was below a quarter-tank.  I fretted and stewed.  Several miles beyond our first try we saw two gas stations just beyond the exit ramp ahead of us; I was afraid to hope, since it was obvious the flood waters had been there.  As we approached, though, we saw cars at the gas tanks and knew we would be OK.  I was doubly happy, because I needed a restroom.  

This particular stop had a restaurant attached to the station, and rest rooms would have been between the two.  When I got out of the car, I realized the whole building was deserted, and my heart sank.  Everything was closed, with the gas pumps being the only thing working.  But people were getting out of their cars, I saw, walking to the building and going around a corner; I decided to follow them.

The one on the left is the women's restroom.  I just couldn't get a full shot of it.  Am I glad somebody put these portable toilets there!  They were pretty much like a real facility except the stalls were a little crowded.  

We left Omaha sooner than we intended:  The plan was to get up, check out at the motel, and go across the river to Counsel Bluffs where we'd go to a highly rated railroad museum with great reviews.  Then we'd go next door to the squirrel-cage jail, then find something to eat, and possibly get home around four o'clock.  However, when we pulled up to the museum shortly before it opened, we realized we'd been there with our tractor club at some point!  OK, Cliff realized it before I did.  First I thought he was wrong, but as I looked at that building, I remembered things we had seen there and knew he was right.  The strange thing is, I can't find any blog entry about the museum.  I thought I'd blogged about all our trips with the tractor club.  

I doubt if our club will be going on any more trips; there aren't enough people who really want to go, and you need a certain amount of folks for the bus owners to make any money.  This year some club members wanted to go to Branson, but Cliff and I have been there so often, I'm not sure we'll ever go back.  The glory days are behind them at Branson, and they have little that appeals to us now.  So I suppose we'll choose our own road trips when we can.  I've pretty much given up on Maine, just because it's so very far.  Cliff has no desire to drive that kind of distance, and I have no desire to try and force him to do it.  His older sister would go along if we went, and she'd help with the driving, but it's still more driving than he wants to do.  I don't blame him... that's a lot of miles to cover.  And the cost of joining up with a group bus trip is ridiculous.

There aren't any earth-shaking places of interest in Omaha, but we found things to see and do.

Omaha has a lovely riverwalk that, I believe, is a work in progress.  There are park-like areas, and a pedestrian bridge.  All that area was flooded for awhile, and some of the trails on the other end of the pedestrian bridge aren't open, but it was a lovely place to walk around on a cool, cloudy day.
     



I took this while standing in the middle of the pedestrian bridge.  Cliff said, "Doesn't it seem funny that we could get on a boat here and float to within a mile of our house?"  

The way that water was rolling, you'd have a hard time convincing me to get on a boat in that river!

I was amazed at how much walking I was able to do before my knees gave out, and after a night's sleep, they were back to their normal level of hurting again, which isn't so bad.  The bridge is a mile long, but we only went to the center and back.  We walked all over the riverwalk park, got something to eat, and then went to the Joslyn Art Museum.  We looked at exhibits on our own for 45 minutes, then joined a group and followed a guide around, learning a little about the exhibits.  


I liked this one of Venus, apparently getting ready to go out on a date, but meanwhile using her mirror to give me a dirty look.
And look at these fallen angels!  I wonder what evil deeds they're getting ready to do?

Over and out!  I shall see what I can get into today.  Oh, by the way, it's my dog Gabe's birthday.  He's two years old.  

Yours truly,
Donna

3 comments:

  1. I like taking road trips, but am not up for a huge one like my daughters have recently done for moves. (LA to Poughkeepsie, and Tacoma to Ohio) I get car sick so a train might be better for me. I could read and pass the time better that way. It looks like you saw many things in Omaha; I know you've posted about this, but I just have to say that I LOVE your top!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to get away for a while, even if you have been there before. Happy Birthday Gabe !


    ReplyDelete
  3. Last week my wife and I drove down I-29 from Omaha, and saw the same damage you did, including stopping at the same gas station with temporary restrooms. It is hard to imagine how much water there must have been.

    Road trips can be fun even if not far from home. There are lots of interesting places to see in any state. We have enjoyed driving in Missouri as well as other states.

    I'm not a blogger, but ran across your blog while reading about antique tractor collections, which is my main interest. I have enjoyed your blog, and thank you for it.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!