Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Ah, the fruits of summer

It's the peak of the sweet cherry season, so the price per pound is great; I've eaten enough cherries to make me a little ill more than once.  Seedless grapes are reasonably priced too, and melons of all kinds.  I love most any fruit.  I still buy bananas every week, too.  Right now, while trying to make up for our excesses when our son was here, we're reaching for fruit as a snack.  Of course, I bought so many varieties of fruit last week I forgot about the seedless watermelon I bought and took to the refrigerator in the shop until today.  I was almost scared to cut it for fear it would be too far gone to be delicious, but it's as good a seedless watermelon as I'll ever find; none of them are as flavorful and sweet as the old Black Diamond watermelons with seeds aplenty.  

We've both been missing our little girl, the one we babysat for five years... Cliff especially.  So I made plans with her mom and we had her here yesterday for the day.  

 This picture is a little misleading; our new "couch" only seats two people, so she is sitting on a raised portion between the two of us and looks taller than she is.  She's still beautiful, isn't she?  We did pretty much anything she wanted to do for the day.  She always gets the Little People stuff out and gets one or both of us to play with her when she's here, and goes around looking for certain toys, I think to make sure we haven't gotten rid of any of "her stuff" yet.  We went down to the Lion's Club park in Wellington and watched her slide down the slide.  Cliff pushed the merry-go-round for her, but found out it was making him dizzy just watching.  He has a lot of problems with dizziness these days.


For awhile Cliff and Cora picked up Sweet-gum balls off the ground, and she dumped them down the slide to see how they'd roll down.  We took Gabe along, and after we'd been there awhile I let him off-leash.  He did great!  If he trotted too far in any direction I'd say "no, come!" and he'd obey.

Then we went to the Corps of Engineers Park, which we've always called "Cora's park".  She's always enjoyed throwing sticks and rocks into the Missouri River, and that's how she spent her time there yesterday.  

She was throwing big pieces of gravel; there weren't any big rocks around there.  I can actually see the gravel in mid-air here.  Cliff is self-conscious wearing shorts, and will want to kill me when he sees pictures of himself in work boots and shorts for all the world to see.  

Here she is getting ready to launch a stick into the Mighty Mo.  I kept Gabe on the leash at this little park because it's right off 224 highway.  

Anyhow, we enjoyed our day with her.  I'm sure when she's at home she's outgrown most of the toys she played with three years ago, but it seems to delight her to go down memory lane with us and play with the stuff she always had here.  That's fine with me.  

A couple of months ago Cliff had an eye bothering him.  I stayed home, he went to the doctor.  The nurse/practitioner looked at it and informed him there wasn't anything in it, suggesting it might be a "floater".  So he came home; he still feels something is wrong with that eye.  Anyway, after two months Cliff got a bill from the doctor's office saying we owed $200; the insurance wasn't paying it.  We tried to think of anything Cliff had done by our doctor that could have amounted to that much, but could only think of that simple visit, which couldn't possibly have cost that much.  Today I called to see what was going on:  Turns out they still have Cliff's insurance from last year in their computer.  His visit in May was the first visit of the year, and he hadn't updated our insurance card for 2019.  All we have to do is take his card to them so they can change it.  Whew!  I can't believe the actual bill for a visit to the doctor is $200.  

Alrighty, I'm going out to search for a cucumber in the garden.  I'll be back around in a day or two.  Oh, I'm done with Rory Feek's book and now reading "It's All Over But the Shouting".  I highly recommend it as one of the best books I've read in a long time.




4 comments:

  1. Cliff looks fine in shorts, but many men are self-conscious about wearing them. I've never seen my dad in shorts. He just recently started wearing jeans; until then it was always work pants or teaching slacks. Glad you got to have Cora--a great excuse to have adventures and play. I think $200 is the fee for a regular doctor visit around here too, which seems outrageous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The reason they charge so much is the insurance. For instance, before we had insurance and my first child was born, it cost $75.00 for the doctor and five days in the hospital was $125. After everyone had insurance that tripled for the next two babies. Now the cost to have a baby is thousands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great day you had with your girl Best to do it now before some is over and school starts. You are blessed to have eye insurance. I don't have it, only a supplemental on the health insurance. For that reason I don't go to an eye doctor except when needed. They are expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 5 year old little girls..... there isn't a more wonderful age on all the earth! Children.... such a blessing, especially for us seniors. Their light shines so brightly in our lives. Love, Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!