Sunday, June 16, 2019

We had a fun day

Yeah, I'm getting lazy again and haven't posted in awhile.  You try thinking of something blog-worthy when you are in your seventies and don't get out of the house much!  But yesterday, we had an eventful day, one that we thought was going to be ruined by rain, because our planned activities took place outside.

Our main priority was to attend a festival yesterday afternoon and evening, because Mo Pitney and Ricky Skaggs were going to be the main performers.  I had looked forward to the event for months.  It's called Rosefest, an event to help families of children with cancer in north Missouri with all the costs cancer brings with it; that's where all proceeds of Rosefest go.  The only thing they asked of attendees was a contribution toward that goal, however much you felt you wanted to give.

The tractor show at Lathrop was also happening on the same date.  I had suggested to Cliff that we go there first, then drive the fifteen minutes up the freeway to Cameron for the music.  Two birds with one stone.  However, he said the tractor show is pretty much the same every year and thought we'd skip that.

When we woke up and saw the forecast, my heart sank:  There was a high chance of rain in the forecast, with possible wind, hail, and perhaps a tornado or two.  Wow, all those plans would come to nothing, because it looks like it's going to get rained out!  As a matter of fact, it was raining when we got up.  We decided to just watch the weather and hope the forecast was wrong.  Around mid-morning the skies lightened up, the sun came out, and I formulated a "Plan B".  We'd eat our noon meal and go to the tractor show.  After spending time there, we'd do another weather check and if it sounded like rain would hold off, we'd go to Cameron.  Mo Pitney was scheduled for 6 PM, Ricky at 8.

The tractor show was enjoyable, as always.  I can't take the heat well at all these days: my stomach acts up and I start feeling sort of spaced out if it's really hot.  A couple of neighbors, Diane and Larry, were selling stuff at the flea market.  Larry said he was getting ready to go watch a bluegrass group performing at the old country church on the grounds, so I left Cliff shopping for nuts, bolts, and other rusty junk and went to see the music.
Their music was good, but the old church is so echo-y that it sort of distorted the sound.  There was air conditioning, so that helped with my heat problem.

The "Parade of Power" started at 3 o'clock, so I joined Cliff to watch it.  We enjoyed seeing so many kids in on the action.  Also one dog.

Yes, there is a child in the shadows on the seat of the tractor. 

As far as I know, that dog was sitting there with no restraints.  He was pretty hot!

As you can see, it was a lovely day with no sign of rain up to the time we left.  We bought ourselves some home-made ice cream and went to the car, heading for Cameron.

We parked in the satellite parking lot set up for the event at the Elk Lodge in Cameron and got onto a school bus (carrying our lawn chairs) a mile down the road to the place.  It was a nice crowd, and apparently they moved the whole thing back an hour.  Mo got on stage shortly after we arrived, right after a family got up and told what they went through when their daughter had cancer.

Mo Pitney was great.  We already knew that, thanks to Country's Family Reunion.  One of his brothers was playing in the band, as well as his sister.  She is a great singer too; she sounds a lot like LeeAnn Womack.  I didn't bother to take pictures, because they usually don't turn out well at an event like this.  I was amazed at how good the sound was:  So many times, music at outdoor events don't have the best sound.  I was pleasantly surprised.  I took two pictures right after Ricky and his bunch got on the stage, and that's it for pictures.  They turned out better than I expected.

Oh, and just as the show was ending, rain started.  We folded our chairs and got on the bus and it began pouring rain.  It rained on us most of the way home.  Cliff almost hit a deer that ran in front of us on highway 13, and Cliff is sort of night-blind, so he wasn't having a good time driving anyway.  

But we made it!


Judy VanMeter said...

I'm glad you went, and had a good time with the rain holding off until you were finished having a good time! I can empathize with Cliff driving in the dark and rain! Glad you got home safely!

Margaret said...

It sounds like you fit everything in that you wanted to do! What an excellent day. I hate driving at night, especially when it's raining. How hot is hot? Here in the PacNW, anything around or over 90 is TOO HOT. Many of us don't have A/C. Thankfully, our humidity isn't usually super high.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Just to have SUNSHINE would be wonderful! Here we have deluged in rain and more rain. Glad the rain came at the end of the show, and thankful you made it safely home.

The Feminine Energy said...

Our lives, moods & "feelings" are so parallel to each other, Donna, as I've mentioned in the past. I won't even bother listing all the things that have been the same for me & us, that you mention in this blog post... just suffice it to say there's many. :-) Our daughter-in-law came over for Father's Day and said her own Dad had just bought two (used) tractors. He's an Allis-Chalmers fan and has a whole pole barn full of their tractors. I think the two he just bought were numbers 34 & 35. *lol* I'm so glad you went to the cancer benefit after all. We've noticed quite a few motorcycle run benefits that have been rained out this spring, in our area, and it's always such a shame, as so much work goes into those types of things. Love, Andrea xoxo