Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Things happening outside

First of all, let me show you how some of my tomatoes are doing:  It's the same plant in both pictures, but from different sides.  



Of course with all the rainy weather, blight showed up early.  Cliff said somebody told him I should take the blighted leaves off as soon as they appear.  

I'm pretty sure I remember trying that idea in the past to no avail, but since I have so few plants, what could it hurt?  I'll let you know how it works out in the end.  Those biggest tomatoes are already bigger than some tomatoes you can buy in the store, so I'm hoping for the best.

Yes, I'm still slacking as a blogger.  I hope I'm not going to fizzle out completely, like so many have.  Sunday before last, the day after our big concert by Ricky Skaggs, we went to Truman Lake Opry to see Gene Watson for the fourth or fifth time.  As soon as he came out on stage and began singing, I could tell his voice wasn't as strong as usual, although he still sounded pretty good.  "He's sick," I thought.  Before long, he apologized that he was having a bit of a struggle with allergies.  I'm thinking he was worse off than just "suffering from allergies".  He looked sort of flushed, and just wasn't his old happy-acting self.  Still, he was in the lobby afterward for autographs and pictures.  "The show must go on."

I don't know why I look five months pregnant in this shot, but just deal with it, OK?  Maybe I should go look at myself in the mirror and see if I look that way all the time!  Nah, then I'd have to do something about it, right?  It probably has something to do with bad posture, which I am constantly trying to correct (to little avail).  

Gene has a ridiculous tour schedule, especially considering he's my age.  I get a kick out of his bass player, who stands in the background during their shows acting like he's having some sort of seizures or fits while he plays.  I wish I had taken a brief video, but I thought I could come home and find a video of him on Youtube.  Nope.  That didn't happen.  I had Cliff take a picture of me with him, but to look at him or talk to him, you'd think he was the quietest, most normal person you've ever seen.
He doesn't even look like himself when he's not cavorting and twitching and clenching his teeth

Here you see him on stage, behind Gene.  His name is Staley Rogers, and I googled him every way a person can be googled!  Not a video anywhere.  You'll just have to take my word for it.  

I have a great idea for another entry, so stay tuned for a shocking story soon to come.

Unfaithfully yours, (ha!)
Donna

PS:  I'll try to get back to being a faithful blogger again.

5 comments:

  1. I fought with blight last year, and lost, but so far my plants look OK. Fingers crossed. I don't have any tomatoes as big as yours though. I love your blouse; it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna, you look WONDERFUL!!! Please post more pictures of yourself! And your tomatoes look great too. I still have many blossoms and few tomatoes starting to take shape but that's ok.... they'll come to their own by-and-by. A wise gardener once told me "Remember, Andrea, you're growing tomatoes and not leaves!!" so I always pinch off diseased leaves too. I also make sure there are no leaves on the bottom 4" or so of the stalk, from the dirt. Love, Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I enjoy every post you make even if I don’t say so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have lots of flowers on my tomatoes and just a couple of small ones starting, but up in Northern MN we have had a long, cold, wet spring so we're just getting things growing now. May be too late this year. Ugh! Gotta love Mother Nature :-) I too, think you look fabulous and I love your blouse. The way you said Gene Watson looks not well reminds me when my sister and I went a couple years ago to see Kenny Rogers. We thought he may just pass away right on the stage. He did sit on a stool most of the concert but limped badly and kept rubbing his chest. I love it when I finally come on and see a post from you. Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Donna I read your blog all the time as a lurker, but you mentioned that your dog responded well to the sound device you used, could you tell me the brand that you bought? Im at my wits end with my loveable LOUD collie. Thanks so much and keep writing it is never anything but wonderful

    Sue

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!