Thursday, April 25, 2019

One good day follows another

If you're one of my Facebook friends and followed the link I placed on Facebook to get here, I won't be sharing the link to my blog there any more.  I never did like doing it; it was like I was begging for people to hop over here and read my mundane posts, and I don't like self-promotion.  I only started doing it because several friends said they couldn't remember to check my blog if I didn't share it there.  Well, right over on the left side of my blog, there's a place you can sign up to get an email every time I post an entry.  So you don't need me to put the link on Facebook.  I'm not sure, but I think most of the folks who wanted me to share it there are either dead or have gotten to the place they really don't care if they read my random drivel.  I'm not looking for a huge group of followers to my blog anyhow.  I blog for myself.  Everybody says that, but in my case, it's true.

We've had some timely rains so far this spring, and judging by the forecast we might get some more in the next few days.  I heard one weather guesser say there might be a chance of frost this weekend, but I sure hope he's wrong:  I have tiny peaches and plums forming on the trees!   I've set out a couple of tomato plants and pepper plants and some basil and oregano, but I can always cover those.  I still have a tiny garden, but I had Cliff make it a little wider than last year because I tried to squeeze too much into my small space and it didn't work out too well.  Oh, I should mention I've seen a few hummingbirds at my feeders!

I've hardly cooked at all this week:  We were eating Easter leftovers through yesterday, so they're pretty much gone.  I tried something new for dinner today, Unstuffed Cabbage Roll.  We both liked it a lot.  The recipe makes quite a bit, but I found out we can eat plenty of it!  Some folks said in the comments beneath the recipe that they added rice with some extra water to the recipe, and I think that would be a good addition; or you could make rice by itself and serve the unstuffed cabbage roll over the rice.  I use the Allrecipes site a lot.  Reading reviews of the recipes is a little tricky, because people totally change the recipe sometimes, and you don't know whether to follow the actual recipe or choose some of the many suggestions in the review section.  I have found, though, that if you choose recipes with a five-star rating, they are usually outstanding on their own.  And I do sometimes take advice from the reviews and switch them around a little after the first time.

We have lovely weather for walking, and yet I have a problem taking Gabe along with me.  If I take the grandson's Great Dane, Apollo, Gabe stays with the giant, so I consider him safe from predators; but the two of them  go through the mud surrounding our almost-dried-up pond; Apollo arrives back home with nice clean feet, but not Gabe.  I have to hold his feet under a faucet and then dry them off before I bring him in the house.  He hates that, and lets me know how he feels by kicking and wiping mud on me!  Today I didn't take Apollo, much as he loves it, because I kept Gabe on the leash; Apollo likes to play with Gabe and gets tangled up in the leash.  Gabe still needed his feet rinsed off, though.  There's something about the hair on a Schnauzer's feet that attracts mud like crazy.  

Tonight is Cliff's tractor club meeting.  I may go along with him.  Tomorrow I'm getting my hair cut.  We are going to go camping before too long.  I'd say we had better be doing it before the summer heat kicks in.

I decided I missed going to church, so Cliff is taking me, dropping me off, and picking me up.  I'm sort of taking turns between two different churches for now... actually three, because sometimes my neighbor Diane picks me up to go to church with her.  Cliff doesn't mind taking me at all, as long as he doesn't have to go.  He says it's because I grew up going to church that I like attending, and he may be right.  It just seems like it's a good way to separate one week from another.  Oh, and I like singing hymns with people; I don't think they'd come here and sing hymns with me, so I'll join them instead.  Besides, it's really the only place I can go where people outside the family talk to me.  The only other times we go anywhere, we're grocery-shopping.  

I'm trying to remove Walmart from my life... can you believe it?  It's been our main shopping place for years.  But it's just me and Cliff; we don't use that many groceries.  I get a lot of non-food items like toilet tissue, dog food, and cat food from Amazon and Costco.  I will patronize local stores to some extent, and at times when we're going to Blue Springs, I'll make use of Price Chopper and Aldi.  I'm learning to take advantage of Dollar General for some things, although I know their trick of giving you what seems like a cheaper price, but it's a smaller amount you're getting.  

If you ever decide to move to the country because you think it's cheaper out in the boonies... don't do it, because it isn't!  

Do your best to enjoy every day.  Not every day is all good, but there's always something good in every day.  

Yours truly,
Donna

8 comments:

  1. Two Washington companies! I use Amazon too much(guilt) but don't go to Costco enough. One person doesn't use that much of anything! I blog for myself as well and have never done the Facebook link. I like keeping my blog friends to myself and can be more open if not that many people read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe get him some boots?

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you love comments, you shouldn't decide to hide your blog. I read it every day. And I enjoy it so much! I also blog for myself. I use it for a journal. My kids read it and know what I am doing with my life. But even if they didn't read it, I would still blog for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that unstuffed cabbage too ! And have made it often. Your blog is one of the first I started reading and do enjoy your posts. I would miss going to church but have gone faithfully to the same one over 50 years with the exception of illness or bad weather. We've had lots of rain too. But it's wonderful seeing everything tuning green again. I don't go to Walmart on a regular basis. We have a couple of smaller grocery stores nearby so that's where I go. Your country life may not be any cheeper to live, but still it's a good life and I like to read about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Donna, the more I read your blogs and get to know you better, the more I find our lives are very much alike. When I go to church (not every Sunday by a long shot... and I too "miss church" which usually prompts me to go again for awhile) my hubby always drops me off & picks me up too. I had never heard anyone else say that... until now.

    I'm a Walmart junkie-of-sorts. I love that place. Well, not the actual "place" cos I hate leaving home, period. But ever since they got the "order online, pick-up at the curb" service, it's the only place I shop now. It's just too doggone convenient especially around holiday time or when I'm really out of the staples. My knees just can't walk the aisles of anyplace anymore so ordering online & having hubby pick up the order is wonderful.

    We live out in the country too and while it may not be cheaper, it sure is more peaceful. The older I get, the less of a "people person" I am becoming... except for cherished friends online. And I even pick those wisely too.

    We have snow predicted for this weekend. Egads!!! When is winter going to be over?!

    Love, Andrea
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I signed up for email notifications to your blog because I like it. And I don't always check in to see if something new has been posted. I'm not dead yet, so I would like to see your 'musings' as they are posted. Take care dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just know I am one of your fans. I enjoy reading. Take care, Sheila
    (I have you on Feedly)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i enjoy reading about you, gabe and cliff. i made the mistake of putting my blog link on facebook once upon a time but quickly took it off for privacy concerns.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!