Friday, April 26, 2019

I do hope my dog isn't going to be traumatized

First of all, let me say I was warned:  More than one Schnauzer-owner told me, "They are 'barkie' dogs."  

Where we live, there isn't a lot of traffic for a dog to bark at, but Gabe barks at foot traffic too.  Not just when he thinks we need protecting... oh no!  He barks with pure joy when he sees Cliff coming to the house from the shop, or the next-door grandson happens to be walking around outside; in fact, I can just say Arick's name and Gabe will emit a small "woof".  Cliff wouldn't mind the barking so much if only the dog would shut up when he's told, but his enthusiasm cannot be quenched.  
Suzie
A couple of weeks ago we visited granddaughter Monica, who moved to our little town recently with her significant other.  She has a terrier-type black-and-white dog named Suzie that makes Gabe's barking seem like nothing at all.  Barking dogs can make enemies of a neighbor when you are living in a duplex or apartment, so Monica purchased a little object that makes a noise only dogs can hear; you push the button, the dog stops barking.  It works; I saw it in action.  

We have a shock collar I've used on Gabe one single time.  He was in the pasture behind the house, trotting in the opposite direction while ignoring my calls of "Come!"  When I zapped him, he ran past me to the back door and practically climbed up it, wanting in the house for safety.

I just couldn't do it again.  The shock collar has been on a shelf in a closet ever since.  But the idea of something that simply makes an unpleasant sound didn't seem so bad, so I ordered one.  The reviews were mixed:  Some said it worked great, some said their dogs got used to it after awhile, and some said it never worked on their dogs at all.  But I had seen my granddaughter's results with Suzie, so I ordered one.  When it arrived, the directions were in Chinese, but there wasn't much to figure out.  I put the four batteries in.  Gabe started barking when he saw Arick outside, I pushed the button, and we had instant silence.  After a couple more quick uses, the barking stopped and my dog disappeared.  

He had gone to his kennel, far in the back of it, and huddled in a corner.  At first he wouldn't even come out when I called him, but when he did, I petted him and hugged him and held him on my lap awhile.   

Shortly after, it was time to give the barn cats their supper.  I put the stinger in my pocket and invited Gabe out with me, thinking perhaps this would be a way to teach him to stop when he's running away, ignoring my calls.  He headed for the neighbors' horse pen.  I said "Come," he kept going, I pushed the button for a second, and he came running.  From that point he stayed very near me.  I praised him and petted him again.  He went in the barn with me, so when I fed the cats, I gave him a tiny piece of their food.  He stayed with me when I left the barn, and was doing so well staying with me I decided to see if he would obey the "heel" command; I've often made him heel when he's on a leash, but he never convinced me he knew what he was supposed to be doing.  But when I said heel, he closed in on my left side and walked along beside me.  When got a little too far ahead of me, I told him "heel" again, and he did.  Might have been a fluke.  I'll try it later today.

So far I'm impressed.  I'm trying to give treats along with using the "beeper" so it won't all be a negative experience.  This morning I let him come out with me, off-leash, and he paid attention every single time I called him closer, without my using the new dog-training tool.  

If this lasts, I might end up with the most well-mannered Miniature Schnauzer anybody ever had.  

Wish me luck.

7 comments:

  1. I'm so glad it works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had the same great results with my dog, Sophie. She is normally very aggressive with everything outside the home. I didn't have to use it more than a few days. As long as I have it in my hand, I can even take her on short walks now with no issues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting. I don't have a dog, and don't mind dogs barking, as long as it's not incessantly. I think the compliance of my cat to any commands is a lost cause. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like to hear a dog bark every now and then. but you're right sometimes it can get downright annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I didn't know they made such a thing. My youngest sons two dogs are terrible barkers. They keep a spray bottle handy and squirt it at them when they bark too much. I'll have to tell him about this. they are not pups and should know better by now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need the name of this. My Yorkie Charlie needs help with barking. Glad you’ve had such good results. Take care, Sheila

    ReplyDelete

  7. Fuzzy's terrible, scary problem is that he sometimes zooms out the front door at the speed of light. For a 14 year old, arthritic dog, he can really move when he wants to. He is almost a blur when he runs out the door and around and crosses the street. Since he is deaf, he can't hear us calling, and I can't catch him with my arthritic knees, and even my husband can't catch him until Fuzzy's good and ready to be caught. I am considering a shock device of some kind since his last episode of running out on us a couple of weeks ago.

    It was the morning of my colonoscopy. I had prepped the day before and again that morning starting at 330 am. I had no sleep, no food, and a ton of that prep drink. I was weak, light headed, and my stomach was feeling sick. We were running just a couple of minutes behind in leaving. My husband opened the front door for us to leave and Fuzzy went flying out of the house, zoomed across the street and all over the place, with my husband right behind him but unable to catch him. I was so lightheaded, I was unable to even get down the steps and outside to help. Finally, Fuzzy let my husband catch him and bring him back in. By this time we were running really late for the appointment arrival time, which was 1 hour before the procedure time. I started crying because I was feeling so sickish and was afraid they wouldn't let me get the procedure since I was late for the appointment time. I called them to tell them what had happened and that I was running late and they said it would be ok. Thank goodness.

    Since Fuzzy is deaf now, we can't even get his attention by calling his name. It's maddening to see him looking back at us over his shoulder, with a big grin on his face, looking for all of the world like he is laughing at us. I'm wondering if some sort of shock collar would make him run home, or run away faster. Maybe invisible fencing would be the way. I need to look into if it uses a shock collar or not.

    That afternoon and evening as I rested and recovered from my colonoscopy, Fuzzy's arthritis was really hurting him. He was limping on three of his four legs, and could barely get in and out of his doggy bed. I was still mad at him for his morning hijinx and only felt a little sorry for him.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!