Monday, January 14, 2019

Wintertime

We had at least ten inches of wet, heavy snow dumped on us Friday and Saturday.  It created beautiful scenes, but I've heard the roads were pretty treacherous.  We had no reason to leave home.  I went out and shoveled the sidewalks around the house, and Cliff cleared our driveway with the tractor.  He also did enough snow removal in some places so Gabe can tend to his business without having to sink through snow deeper than he is tall.  Other than that, we've just snuggled in and tried to stay comfortable.  Saturday Cliff watched the Chiefs make us proud.  Sunday our daughter and her husband brought chili and potato soup over for dinner; grandson Arick hung out here for awhile too.  I made chocolate chip cookies and banana bread so we'd have dessert.  

Now they say there may be another storm coming this weekend.

Cliff has been occasionally bringing up one certain tractor show for a long time.  It isn't until August, but it's a huge show and well-attended, so anyone who is planning on staying in a motel needs to reserve a room well ahead of time.  Yesterday he was perusing Facebook and noticed someone had posted the number to call if you intend to rent a golf cart.  "Somebody says you'd better reserve your golf cart now," he said.

"Cliff, are you saying you want to go to Rantoul again?"

"I wouldn't mind going."

The Half-Century of Progress tractor show isn't my personal choice, but if I have a chance to travel, I'll agree to anything.  And renting a golf cart would make the show a lot more pleasant for both of us.  The reason this show is not my favorite is that it's just tractors.  It's a show that sets up for the four days of the event, then it's gone.  I prefer the ones like Rollag, Minnesota, and Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, with permanent structures on the grounds and real trains, and horses.  But hey, I'll be riding in style in a golf cart, and having my meals bought for me while we're there, so I'll take one for the team.  We went to this show nine years ago, and I did a couple of blog entries about it.  Click HERE and HERE.  Anyhow, needless to say I called and reserved a motel AND a golf cart for the show in August.  I don't even buy green bananas at my age, and here I am making travel plans for seven months from now.



winter wonderland


Looks pretty weird, doesn't it?  The temperatures got high enough to start the snow sliding off the garage, but not all the way off.

On days the grandson's wife, Heather, is working, I go over there and let Apollo out to relieve himself.  Today I took Gabe along and then watched them run and play in the snow for a little while.  Gabe stole a chew-toy from him, and is taunting him with it in this picture.

And now I'll leave you with a video of their wild chase:

4 comments:

  1. Our son loved tractors. He acquired a print of a Farmall tractor (1932-1938) that still hangs on the wall of his room, which we never finished clearing. My favorite experience at a tractor show was watching a huge draft horse mare with her mule colt (!) as she powered an old fashioned threshing machine. You got the snow. We got the freezing rain/ice storm. Our driveway was blocked in three places by downed trees/ Husband worked most of Saturday and Sunday with the chainsaw to clear our driveway so we could get out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a LOT of snow! It looks pretty from here where the roads are clear and there isn't any. :) I'm glad you're booked for the tractor show; it's always fun to see new sights and travel a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks so pretty and your dogs are really enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You certainly did get a lot of snow. Here we got only a few inches, but it has been bitterly cold out. I did see where another storm is brewing for this weekend. We'll see how much we get this time. Meanwhile I am stocked up am going to stay in if the roads get bad. Nice you are spending the time making plans. Here I am thinking Spring.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!