Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Bits and pieces of my life

After our gigantic snowfall last weekend that cut off power to many folks (a fate from which we were spared), there is now a grim forecast for the coming weekend... this time with bitter temperatures.  Cliff and I have been hunkered down for days, reading, watching TV, and eating too much.  Apparently today is going to be the best day to get out on the roads before the coming storm, so we shall venture forth.  The last of our milk has spoiled, and yes, we also need bread.  Not to mention sugar, flour, etc.  It hasn’t been bitterly cold, but the temperatures have hovered near enough to freezing so there’s still considerable snow on the ground.  The main problem for us is the sidewalks and porch/decks, which we cleaned off days ago; but at night the moisture on them refreezes, creating a black ice for us to walk on when we go outside.  After a certain age, one becomes very cautious in conditions that could cause a fall.  So far we’ve survived without incident.  I refuse to use salt to melt ice, even for my own safety.  Salt ruins sidewalks.  

I’m no football fan, but I’m always happy when the Kansas City Chiefs do well, and this has been a banner year.  This weekend will decide whether they go to the super bowl.  I don’t actually watch the games with Cliff, but I’m right there in the living room, reading and glancing at the TV to see how things are going.  The team has done so well, I even bought myself a shirt celebrating the season because I saw a picture of Patrick Mahones holding it up for viewing.  I wore it last weekend, but it’s a short-sleeved T-shirt.  We keep the house at 70 degrees and I’m used to wearing sweat shirts in winter... so I froze, but by George, I wore my Chiefs shirt anyhow (while covering up with a blanket).

Oh my goodness, the books we’ve read.  Cliff has been sticking to non-fiction lately, learning all about the political history of our country.  I am reading about three different books at once.  If I need a break from one, I go to another, then back.  It’s not something I usually do, but it seems to work for me at present.  Recently I was waiting for library books I’ve put on hold to get to me, but I needed something to read while I was waiting.  I remembered my nephew’s wife recommending “Memory Man” to Cliff, found it available, and checked it out.  When I was half-way through the book, I realized I’d read it before.  Up until that point, nothing even seemed familiar to me!  The book was released in 2015, so it couldn’t have been too long ago I read it.  The trouble is, I don’t even remember how it ends.  I tried going to the end of the book to see if that would prod my memory, but alas!  I shall be forced to continue.  Maybe I got bored with it and never finished it.  These “golden years” will keep you wondering about your sanity, believe me.

My favorite recent book is “The Sun Does Shine”, written by Anthony Ray Hinton, a man who spent thirty years in prison for a crime he didn’t commit. I seldom get emotional, but I will admit I had to hold back tears at times as I read this book.  I also laughed out loud a couple of times.  I’d recommend it for anyone.  The author has quite a Christian testimony, but I think even an atheist would enjoy this book.  It isn’t “preachy”.  At the last church I attended, a man who had spent time in prison took the pulpit a few times.  He had the same upbeat attitude as Ray Hinton.  I loved hearing him tell about his prison friends, and I can’t help wondering if he’s read “The Sun Still Shines”.  But I digress.

It’s about time for Cliff to get up, so I’d better finish this “letter to my readers” and get ready to make some coffee.  

Peace and love, 
Donna




8 comments:

  1. I'm going to get out shopping today too. I love going in the middle of the week when most are working and the stores are not crowded anyway. But it is the best day here as far as the weather goes too. Keep safe and keep warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, be careful!! Now I'm worried about you. Would sand help on your icy sidewalks? I have lots to read on my Kindle, but for some reason am in a reading funk. Did you enjoy the last Virgil Flowers? I thought it was good and so did my dad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to throw down some salt on my sidewalk and get the ice off my steps before Friday. We are expecting a storm. I am planning on looking for that book you recommend. It sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will try to find that book. I need a good cry! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. The snow photos on your previous post were beautiful, but cold winter weather can be treacherous. Be VERY careful on that ice. When I fell on the ice four years ago my spine was permanently damaged - and I'm really suffering now because of it.

    I hope your trip for groceries was successful. I drove all the way to town today and forgot to buy milk! I'm kicking my butt over that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please be careful on your outing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. good luck driving to get groceries. be careful of that black ice. you can do serious damage to your body.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I frequently check out books at the library that I have already read. I have taken to writing my number in the back of the book so I know for sure that I have read it. Sometimes I am happy to read a book again but not always. I have found slip on cleats very helpful in negotiating slippery steps.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!