Friday, November 24, 2017

Thanksgiving

Granddaughter (in-law) Heather was cooking Thanksgiving dinner for her family and some of ours; many of our relatives were doing other things on the big day, so combining two families really didn't make for too huge a crowd.  I volunteered to make the mashed potatoes, knowing how rushed that last-minute prep for a big meal can be, and ended up making a few other things.

I began thinking about my favorite holiday dishes.  Knowing full well nobody would eat much of either one, I made them anyhow, just for myself.  I should try cutting the recipes at least by half, but I never do.  They really aren't traditional holiday dishes.  Well, I guess the cranberry stuff (Mother called it cranberry salad, but it isn't a salad) is traditional in my own family, but I don't know anyone else that even makes it.  And the macaroni salad is a recipe I just happen to love that came straight from the pages of an old Better Homes and Gardens cookbook.  

Hang on, I did a quick Google search of the ingredients and found that someone else DOES make it, minus the nuts.  I imagine the nuts were my mom's idea, because she put nuts in every sweet holiday recipe she used.  Click HERE and scroll down to see a blogger talking about "Cranberry Cream Dream" and sharing the recipe.  But I digress.


I can eat my mother's cranberry salad until I'm sick, and still keep on eating.  Something about that sweet/tart (more sweet than tart), creamy, nutty dish affects me like a drug affects a druggie!  Most people don't even try the stuff when I take it to a gathering, I guess because there's so many other sweet dishes on the table; or maybe they don't like cranberries.  The thing is, I'm always happy to take it home with me and eat it all myself.  I even sometimes HOPE nobody else eats any.  I wish I were hungry right now, I'd go have some.  Cliff had a bowl of cereal for breakfast, but I'm still waiting for hunger to set in.  I'm as full now as I was when I went to bed.

I didn't make any pies because I knew Heather's Grandma Sandy would bring some, and she is a pie guru.  Yep, Cliff and I had our first pumpkin pie of the season, and Sandy insisted we take the three remaining pieces.  "I have another one at home," she told us.  I love that woman. 

We ate in the shop, simply because Heather and Arick don't have a lot of seating room in the house.  When dinner was over and Heather was getting the meat off the turkey bones for storage, I told her I'd take the roaster full of bones home for my turkey frame soup and wash the pan for her before I brought it back.  I also rescued a meaty ham bone that was destined for the trash can.  Because who doesn't love beans cooked with a ham bone?  

I had some last-minute shopping to do Wednesday, so the little girl and I went along with Cliff when he went for his radiation treatment.  When he got out I said, "Go to Costco so I can get one of those cooked chickens for $4.99.  I'll just run in and get the chicken, nothing else.  Otherwise we're going to be eating out, and it will cost a lot more than five bucks."

Who buys a cooked chicken the day before Thanksgiving?  I wasn't even thinking about all the leftovers and bones I'd have when the big feast was over the next day.  Cliff and I each had a chicken-leg and thigh at home Wednesday (the kid wanted a PBJ sandwich), along with some peas and a baked potato cooked in the microwave: a real quickie meal, but delicious and cheap.  This left me with most of a chicken in the refrigerator on the day before turkey day.  It's OK, though.  This morning I took the chicken off the bones, saved the meat in a couple of separate freezer bags and the bones in another (yes, I save chicken bones until I have a lot, then make broth), and the chicken is saved.  I can almost taste the chicken salad sandwiches now!  Except... I'm not hungry.  

So we had a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner with the family members that were in the area, and today I eat cranberry stuff, macaroni salad, and pumpkin pie all day long.  I won't be getting on the scales until next Monday.  The results won't be pretty, but usually within a week of eating right, I'm right back where I should be.  If not, give it time.  Christmas won't be here for a month.

Here's hoping all my readers had a perfect Thanksgiving, with memories to spare.

Peace.

P.S.  I think I'm almost hungry now.


6 comments:

  1. Where are the ingredients for that cranberry salad? My parents made cranberry relish for decades with an ancient grinder(because my grandfather liked it)--cranberries and oranges plus some sugar. I hated the stuff myself. I'm a turkey, stuffing and gravy person, all of them eaten together. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margaret, there’s a link in the entry that goes to someone else’s blog where the recipe is posted. The only difference is mine has a cup of nuts in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like a good cranberry salad too. sounds like you had a good Thanksgiving dinner. nothing wrong with a nice PJ sandwich either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds as if you did have a wonderful Thanksgiving . Today is the day my family will have our annual feast. I'm going to have to check out the Cranberry Cream Dream salad/dessert. I have some cranberries that need using up. From my house to yours - Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mother added nuts to many of her sweet things as well. I know not many in mine of Pete's family really like cranberries. If it's good and sweet, I'd probably like it, but even then there might be some other sweet salad dish I liked better. Nothing goes goes to waste at our house either. We either make something else from it or we have some animals that will eat it.
    It was nice you didn't have to spend three days in the kitchen cooking for Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of may favorites is "Mama Stamberg's cranberry relish" which has horseradish in it and looks like Pepto-Bismol and if I make it nobody will eat it except me. Our traditional cranberry relish was apples, cranberries, and oranges ground together with sugar added. Nuts would have been great but I don't think they ever added them.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!