Tuesday, April 01, 2014

The benefits of babysitting

I am the first to admit that a seven-month-old child wears me out.  She is so active now that I never leave her in a room alone, because there are too many things that could go wrong in my absence.  At my age, you forget how moms never truly relax except maybe when the baby is safely asleep in its crib.

But I have been reminded.

A relative who seldom contacts me called and, in the process of our conversation, asked if I would be able to garden this summer, considering I am babysitting.  I told her I plan to, but if there is any conflict, I will do without the garden.  I can't do without that little girl.

When her mom brings her early in the morning and uncovers her head (mornings are still cold here), the first thing you see is that baby girl's smile.  I'm pretty sure you could live on that smile for at least a month.  "You Are My Sunshine" comes to mind.  Our days are shaped by the smile of a child who is always happy to see us.

Now the kid is crawling and making funny faces and spitting and, when we cough, coughing with us.  Sometimes we laugh so hard at her antics that we almost cry.

She is the best thing that has happened to us since our grandchildren were babies.  

4 comments:

  1. I know from watching some of my grandchildren that they do keep you on your toes. The days I have them that is all I do. I don't even try to do anything but watch them. A one, two or 3year old can find plenty to get into. I wouldn't miss a day with out having mine here, but I only get them one day a week or one day every other week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cutie pie. Love those BIG eyes. They are a handful at that age, no doubt about it. ENJOY! They grow up so fast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I've said it before, but I'm so glad you have her in your lives, and that she has you in hers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Babies are adorable, toddlers are still cute but TERRIFICALLY hard. I watched my 2 year old niece for a day and it was utterly exhausting.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!