Friday, June 01, 2012

Strange weather

The average temperatures were above normal all winter, and have continued to be so throughout spring.  Then suddenly, yesterday, we had an extreme cooling-down that is still with us this morning.  As I do this entry, it's 47 degrees.  By Sunday we'll be back in the above-normal range.
As the cool front came through, it brought us no rain, and my garden has once again turned to dust.  I am just about to give up watering everything but the tomatoes and peppers.  I am discouraged, and I'm tired of moving the soaker hose from row to row.  We have a well that never goes dry, and a new pump in it, but I've about decided it isn't worth the effort.  What I was hoping would be a temporary measure until rain came has turned into a full-time task.  As I look at the ten-day forecast, I see there's only a 10% chance of precipitation there.  
It's never going to rain again.   
Even as I whine, I think about the surrounding farmers who need rain for their crops.  Our garden saves us some money, but we don't depend on it for our livelihood.  
I remember a hot, dry summer in the fifties when my parents and I still lived in north Missouri.  I was a child, so dry weather didn't matter to me; but Eagleville was a farming community, so a drought affected the general population in a big way, and adults were concerned.  We had the usual big garden in the yard, and my mother fretted about that.
Here's the only reason I remember there being a drought:  The Eagleville Church of Christ was having a week-long Gospel meeting (other churches would call it a revival) next to Joe Bartles' house.  It was billed as a tent meeting.  I recall being rather disappointed that the meeting wasn't held in a genuine tent:  there was no canvas roof overhead, only canvas walls.  You call that a tent?  
So one night we were singing hymns before the sermon and thunder sounded in the distance.  Before you know it there were raindrops, and with no roof over our heads, soon everybody was running to their cars (I knew they should have used a real tent!).  
It looked like the drought was over
We got home and my mom took over the switchboard from whoever had been watching it in our absence.  The rain became a regular downpour, and there was so much joy in our house that it was almost a tangible thing.  I stood on the front porch and watched the water falling in sheets, while in the house my mom sat at the switchboard singing "There Shall Be Showers of Blessing" at the top of her lungs.
The giddiness was contagious, and my parents and I had the time of our lives that night celebrating the rain.  
I am so glad I have that little video-like memory that plays in my mind any time I call it up.

9 comments:

  1. It's 58 degrees here this morning and we've had some light showers and are to get more today. Sure hope you get that shower of blessings there soon. One thing about the weather is that it is always changing. Hope your Friday is a fantastic one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yah. It's only 50 here right now. I'm thinking about putting on a sweatshirt.

    And it rained just enough here yesterday to green up my lawn and make my dogs mad. They hate going outside to potty in the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad I have resumed reading your blogs, Donna. They always leave me with something good, and I've missed that. You were always an inspiration to me in JLand, and I don't know what took me so damn long to start reading again! You've got a loyal reader..once again.
    Isn't it nice when you can bring up a memory that leaves you with a good taste around your heart. I love those moments. Beautiful song to go with that memory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:18 PM

    A few notes on your post--and this weather:

    Yes, you have to say, this is certainly odd weather. It's so cool. It's been beautiful and comfortable, for sure.

    That said, yes, it was (still is, for you) dry but clearly you didn't get the rain this last week--twice--that we got. Dang. Sorry to hear. If we hadn't gotten those, it'd be horribly dry here so I can understand your situation. And that forecast--no way it gives hope yet. Here's hoping it changes and we--you, specifically (you and the farmers)--get that rain.

    Finally, I have to say, that scene you describe, getting the rain, above, with your parents, wow. That would make such a great scene in a movie. Now, all we need is a bigger plot line. Your life story, perhaps? :)

    Have a great weekend. We'll be praying for rain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You don't want to know how much rain we've gotten. I haven't had to water at all, but I'm worried about getting my lawn mowed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had temps in the mid to upper 90's before the cold front came through bringing a little rain with it. We've had very little rain this spring and everything was drying up. Hope you get some rain soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. On the first day of June, it's in the 40's here tonight. Going to use the electric blanket. LOL Not much rain here. They predict it, but only a little bit shows up. What a wonderful story about your mom, the rain and her singing at the switchboard. the marvelous part is the lasting impression it made on you. take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We were swamped in rain last week. Beryl came through and even though we are too far inland to usually get anything from any tropical disturbance, this one soaked us good.

    That's how the weather goes. There is always somebody wishing for rain and someone waiting for it to stop.

    And I love that song. Makes me think of my grandma singing it beside me in church.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We had that same cool-down, but we had a lot of rain with ours. Hope you get some rain soon.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!