Monday, March 05, 2012

The kind of doctor I like

I follow the blog of Dr. Kevin, MD on Facebook.  I don't read every single entry, but I have picked up a little medical knowledge there from time to time.  I noticed in an entry this morning there was a video speech by Dr. Abraham Verghese, author of Cutting for Stone.  The video is eighteen minutes long, and I only intended to watch a little of it to see what he sounded like.





The video is excellent, and I watched it all. 
My bloggie friend Margaret is the one who recommended "Cutting For Stone", and I am so glad she did.  It isn't what I would call an easy read, but it's a great book.  Thanks to the video, I know more about its author and what makes him tick.
I have to tell you, I've always resented being shuffled off to a doctor who was born on foreign soil; I wanted an American doctor with no accent, thankyouverymuch, one who acquired all his or her learning in American schools.    
Abraham Verghese has changed this opinion, first with his book, and now with this video.   
Yes, books can change a person.  

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this video. I will read book too.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was one of the best books I've ever read--and my dad thought so too!! Most of my husband's docs are originally from somewhere else, although they are all American. (for that matter, my family is from somewhere else too, just not as recently) His oncologist was originally from Turkey, his pulmonary surgeon's family was from India(no accent at all though, so I'm assuming he was born here) and his pulmonologist is Asian, although she has no accent either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The book sounds interesting. I am always looking for a good read. As long as a doctor knows his or her stuff, I have no problem with them. Take care.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!