Monday, May 03, 2010

Iris watches TV

I hooked up the laptop to our TV this evening to watch "Dog Whisperer".  The first episode I chose was all about a very mean American bulldog that did a lot of barking and guttural growling.  Imagine my surprise when Iris came to attention and charged the TV!  
Now, I have had some dogs that paid attention when they heard a dog barking and growling on television, but I have never had one that actually distinguished the images of dogs on the screen.  Iris does.  


She'd watch that bad dog, even if it wasn't making a sound, and go into the stalk mode with her hackles raised.  Wow.  Of course I corrected her, since our television cost quite a bit of money.    
I think I have my work cut out for me.  Or perhaps I should watch Dog Whisperer after Iris has gone to bed. 



On the plus side, we had a great walk this morning, with me keeping Iris on a short leash and not allowing her to walk ahead of me; by the time we were done, the leash was slack and she was walking calmly.  We've done a lot of Frisbee work, and I've thrown a ball for her to retrieve dozens of times.  She loves all this activity.   Unlike Sadie, when she's off leash in the yard, Iris doesn't attempt to run away.  Once she learns her name, I'm fairly certain she will come when she's called.  
Last night with her in the kennel beside my bed started out peacefully enough, but then thunder started to rumble and she began trying to dig out frantically.  She also bit the metal bars holding her in.  
Anybody know a good dog psychiatrist?  

6 comments:

  1. A lot of dogs are afraid of thunder storms. One of mine used to go under our bed and hide when they would come up during the night. It's something he never outgrew either and he lived to be 16

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo, a Frisbee dog. Can she jump on your back and leap for it, yet? I can't wait to hear that she also sings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:28 AM

    My Max just trembles when a storm is close by..sometimes seems to whimper...gets restless...and Donna..I do believe Iris is going to make your life verrrrrrryyyy interesting!!! LOL...hugs...Ora

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe Iris was trying to protect you from that mean looking dog. Our Daisy is really afraid of thunderstorms also. What puzzles me is that she only started being afraid last summer. Sounds like Iris will make your life very interesting. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lindie9:56 AM

    Seems to me a lot of dogs hate thunderstorms, also firecrackers. But what do you do with a dog that chews things like the wooden gate and the screen door? Katie's new dog does both. But, on the plus side when she escapes her crate in the house, she doesn't eat the cats or damage anything inside the house!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Ora. Iris is going to keep things intersting:)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!