Monday, April 05, 2010

An interesting walk for Sadie

Cliff and I didn't walk this morning, since thunderstorms were passing through.  Sadie and I waited until this afternoon to head out to the pasture.  I was barefoot.  So was Sadie, for that matter.
As we rounded the corner of my cabin we scared up a squirrel, so my dog had an exciting chase.  Of course she didn't have a chance of catching him, but it's all about the chase.
A little further on, I saw what I thought was a tiny dead snake, and bent over to investigate.  I keep an eye on the ground when I'm not wearing shoes, trust me.  He was all curled up, not making a move.  Sadie happened to see me checking something out and came to investigate, hoping perhaps I'd found a stick to toss for her.


You may need to click on the picture to make it larger.
I decided to poke it with a twig, checking for signs of life.  Oh, it was alive, all right.  And a vicious little creature he was, curling back and striking for all he was worth.



Once I got him moving, Sadie realized it was something alive and played with it for awhile.  If you stick through the video for all twenty-six seconds, you'll get a glimpse of the snake.  




And then, Sadie topped off a perfect walk by carrying home a stick for me to toss later.  

15 comments:

  1. cute snake! Feisty, but cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looked like Sadie was having fun with the snake. Such a tease. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Snakes are something I tend to stay far away from. Thankfully I don't encounter many. I've heard you mention walking barefoot before and today you said it again so I'm guessing you don't have any poisonous snakes around there. At least I hope not. Walking around in the woods here we'd never go barefoot. Had to share with you too that I ordered a Mac today...I'm excited. Should be here soon. It's my retirement gift.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! You might know I can't even handle bugs, let alone snakes. And yet......I long to live in the country and always will. Yes, I will face my fears head on (bugs, snakes, mice, etc.) if it means I can be out in open spaces and breathing fresh (well, farm fresh anyway) air. ;)
    Blessings,
    Toni
    p.s. what kind of snake was it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Toni, I don't have a clue what sort of snake it was. Possibly a baby black snake; they are striped when they're young, and they act as sassy as poisonous snakes. I don't think it was poisonous: I got as close as I could to its eyes, and they didn't look like cat eyes; plus, I didn't detect the pits that are on poisonous snakes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by my blog. We went on vacations the week of July 4th, so it would have been sometime around then that we were at the Huntsville Space Center. My brother had on the 'space helmet' he got there...ha. Have a great week, Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Never seen a snake move that fast before. I used to catch and release them in my yard when I was a kid. Toads too. Ah the good ole days...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful day.

    Fortunately the snake was not a poisonous one, else it would be dangerous for Sadie.

    Spring is a wonderful time. Hope you have more wonderful times ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That snake was hard to see. I hope you don't step on any while barefoot. I do not like snakes. I have seen to many big rattlers and they scare me. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wouldn't have wanted to step on that little guy with my bare feet! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous8:34 AM

    BEST BE VERY WATCHFUL FOR RATTLESNAKES.
    I MAY TRY TO POST ON MY 'BLOG' A PHOTO OF ONE FOUND IN MY YARD IN THE MOUNTAINS. sam

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous10:34 AM

    Nice of Sadie not to want to bring the snake home for you to play with!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We thoroughly enjoyed your barefoot walk.

    Now on to some impotent matters. How's Cliff's Oliver coming along?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ugh. I'm always "lucky" to run into black snakes in TREES (while we're fishing). Heebie jeebies.
    Blessings,
    Toni

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonder what kind it was. Glad it didn't bite you. I've said it before, and I'll say it again -- I just love Sadie!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!