Saturday, January 09, 2010

Hey!

Where's our sixteen below zero? I even heard one weather-liar say it might get down to thirty below... actual temperature. Here it is five above, with only light wind.
I'm not complaining, believe it. I just wonder how they can miss it in such a huge way. And for those of you who say once it's that cold, what's the difference? You don't know what you're talking about. Get out and take a forty-five-minute walk on a ten-degree day with no wind, then try it at zero with strong winds. There's a difference, believe it.
Speaking of the weather: WDAF TV was the first television station in Kansas City, a and they're celebrating their sixtieth anniversary. I spent $10 for a DVD telling some of their history (you might notice I spend more money on the Internet when I'm house-bound; I'm on a first-name basis with the UPS man).
Cliff and I enjoyed watching it last night, especially since there was nothing on TV we wanted to watch. It brought to mind our favorite weatherman ever: Dan Henry. He retired in 1992, but Cliff and I still say to one another sometimes, "Dan Henry said it would be like this," which was a line we often heard on WDAF TV throughout the '80's.
He's still alive and smiling, living in the Kansas City area and singing with a barbershop quartet as he always did.
What a lovable television personality he was... and still is, on the rare occasions when he makes an appearance. Nobody will every top him.
On another note: I've practically pulled my hair out trying to secure our wireless network. I've found what seem like simple instructions on the Internet, but I am not finding the things they say I should find and change; I got as far as changing the password, although I may have even screwed that up. I'm at the point of paying somebody to come and do it for me. There's only one neighbor close enough to mooch off our Internet connection; unfortunately, it is the last neighbor I would want to help out in this manner.
::note:: My Internet connection works fine; I am connected to the Internet. I just don't like neighbors leeching onto my wireless and getting free access. Let them pay just like I do.

9 comments:

  1. It is 19 here this morning which is better than you've got anyway. I don't go walking at all in this weather except for indoors. You do more than I could in the winter for sure. I'm no help with technical things but do have wireless here thanks to my children that hooked it up for me. Hope your daughter can help you out. Keep warm there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm no use in situations like this either. I hope Rachel can help once she gets back from her trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If Rachel could help, it would have been done two years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know which router you have, and they are all slightly different (although if I have my hands on it I can usually work it out!), so I am going to recommend this: Go to the website for your router. They should offer detailed instructions! Wish I could help more, but it's hard when you can't see it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think there is a lot of difference between 16 below and 5 above. I hope you get that internet fixed soon. It just wouldn't do to be penned in the house without any internet service. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  6. My internet connection works fine, folks; I just don't like giving free Internet access to my convicted felon neighbors, the ones who get free mushrooms from my property every spring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:15 AM

    Dee from Tennessee

    Ugh...same problem here with wireless unsecured. I've read and reread a gazillion times the directions and can't find what they say to do. And all of our neighbors say "Bless you" when we sneeze -- that's how close we are. I just have this HUGE fear that they could see my passwords etc or just mess up with my computer. I think the chances for that are slim....BUT who want to mess with that. I have a friend who is waaaaaaaaaaaay beyond capable of securing it, but I can't let anyone see this house until it's straigtened up...there's not even a path right now. So, I use a cable when I use the laptop, pathetic I am!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Donna, I just read a comment from you on Miss Kriss' blog. She was wondering why she is missing comments from some of her readers.
    Read my comment to her about "comment notification" if you'd like. It's a blogger set-switch that allows you to be notified of comments in your email inbox. It's really helpful if you get comments on an old post that you would not know to go back to, to check for comments. Unfortunately, many comments go to SPAM inboxes too.
    Nice to meet you. Stay warm! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. To secure our wireless I went online to the web site for the maker of our router and "chatted" with a technician who gave me detailed instructions which I could print out. I've had to go to them twice. It worked though.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!