Sunday, December 13, 2009

Old photos

I've been familiarizing myself with Iphoto, and in the process I've made a few trips down memory lane. One thing I noticed was that I have had Jersey cows in my life quite a bit, and have the pictures to prove it.

Cliff with our son Jimmy, 1967. That was my dad's Sears Suburban lawn mower, which we have now; it still runs.

This is me (was I really that slim?) with a registered Jersey heifer, "Donna's Generator Joy". Her sire was the top Jersey bull of that time. This wasn't long before she had her first calf.


I don't recall which cow this one grew up to be. I do remember the Waylon Jennings T-shirt I'm wearing there, though. I loved Waylon, and still do! May he rest in peace.

This is from the period when I was raising twenty-five to fifty baby calves a year. I had eight or ten calf hutches like the ones in this picture; that's my two oldest grandchildren, Arick and Amber, with me.


There I am with all the grandchildren I had in 1991. The dog is our old Chow, Brandy. Arick and Amber are each holding a baby goat.



12 comments:

  1. Old pictures are great and bring back some happy memories for sure. My goodness how time flies. You were a busy lady with all those cows. No wonder you wanted another when you got the ones you have now...it's part of your lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That one who was registered had a beautiful color. Great pictures. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love old pictures! Now that my Grandmother has passed, I told Mom I would like to get into her boxes of pictures of family with my scanner in hand! She has baby pictures and growing up pictures from the whole family AND some of the pictures where passed down to her and have older relatives as youngsters. I would like to preserve these while there is still family that remembers who the people are! I've wanted to do it for a couple of years, but Gram was starting to have problems with Alzheimer's and sometimes 'disturbances' in her environment upset her, and I didn't want her to be upset.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the photos, Donna!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you know I like to look at the old photos. I am just too lazy to scan mine :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well Meesha, my Mac makes it easy; I can put half a dozen pictures in the scanner at once and the Mac is smart enough to separate them. Saves a lot of time.

    I just had to say that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. my windows do that too.It still requires me to put photos in and click.now if your MAC walks downstairs,gets photo album and scans the photos,let me know I'll break down and buy one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sure it can. I just haven't learned what to click yet. Haaaaaaa! And it won't pick up a bunch of viruses while it's doing it.

    Oh shut up, I'm sure your PC never gets a virus. I give up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pictures Donna! The one with all the grands, dog and goats is wonderful!

    Don't get discouraged. I called the clock repairman six months ago to come fix the grandfather clock. He came yesterday......

    ReplyDelete
  10. I raised my children on jersey cow milk and corn bread. I am up most morning at 4 I will look for you in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for taking us down memory lane with you. I love looking at pictures of days gone by and reading the stories that go along with them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, this operation is going to be terribly expensive but Nick is only 7-8 years old and I don't have any other choice. The way he is now he can't be ridden and his back hurts to the touch and will only get worse. We are just going to have to make it work somehow. It is very discouraging to say the least but I guess you do what you have to do. I just hope and pray that this indeed does take care of the back problem.......

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!