Tuesday, December 29, 2009

My new boots



I've wanted a pair of Muck Boots ever since I noticed people at Homesteading Today were raving about them, but I just couldn't make myself pay that much money for snow boots. Yesterday Cliff finally got tired of hearing me whine about not being able to walk far with Sadie because of the snow drifts (the snow was deeper than the tops of my shoes); so he said, "Let's go to Kleinschmidt's and get you some danged boots."
First I went online, so I'd know how the pricing would be; can you believe there are over a dozen different styles, priced from $77 to $169? What could be so different about all these kinds of lined rubber boots?
We couldn't believe the crowd at Kleinschmidt's; evidently a lot of people got money for Christmas and wanted cowboy boots, because most of the time we were there, there was a line of people waiting to pay for boots.
After trying three different kinds of Mucks on, I still couldn't really tell a difference in the models; but I ended up with the thirteen-inch-tall "Muckmaster", which set us back almost $100. As we were paying for my boots, around noon, the cashier told us they'd sold six pairs of Muck Boots so far that day.
Back home, I put them on and went out with Sadie toward the pasture. Unfortunately, now that it warmed up, the snowdrifts have settled and compacted so that it's impossible to walk through them... boots or no boots. I actually got stuck in one for awhile!
My feet didn't get cold, though. I bought these more for cold weather conditions than for snow; we don't get that much snow here.
Cliff and I were having a discussion about cold weather, and he said, "I hope we don't have any pipes freeze here in the trailer house."
I told him I was pretty sure it got below zero last year, and we didn't have a problem. He didn't remember it being that cold, but I found out WDAF TV has the information I needed to win our "discussion".

This is January and February of 2009.

14 comments:

  1. Hi, I would like some mucks too! Or at least something warm and waterproof. Do you have heat tape on your pipes? On really cold nights drip the faucets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we do have heat tape on the pipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like those boots. Good choice! I have a friend that lives in a home like yours and her bathtub drain is what freezes up at her house. She said it already has this year. She has heat tape around all the pipes too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The water pipes run along side of the furnace ducts so hopefully they won't freeze. Love those warm looking boots. They will wear good tending to Bonnie and the horses. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was pretty bad LAST winter since I get my water through a water hose. I was without running water for three days. This time I wrapped it in insulated tape and then in many layers of bubble wrap. It looks ridiculous, but it's doing the job so far.
    I sure could have used some Muck boots last weekend, but since we have big snow storms only once in a while, it's not worth it for me to buy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. now that you have the high-dollar boots the snow will melt

    ReplyDelete
  7. But, Tango and Meesha, they're not only for snow; they're for cold in general.

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the boots! remember mine froze last yr & then 1 busted back before Christmas 08. i'm dreading what will happen this yr. this old house doesn't have good insulation, but it's not my house. :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have it on excellent authority that those are the boots that Santa wears... but he got a discount.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I definitely want an update about those boots. A good pair of boots would be worth every penny of $100 to keep the tootsies warm and dry. My feet are cold most of the time, I hate it.

    Inga

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL....usually an extra pair of socks will take care of the coldness over here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the boots! Enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. "...a lot of money....."
    Or they had heard you were coming?!

    Haha Hoho Hehe

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous11:39 AM

    I also have a pair of the Original Muck Boots. I love mine. Easy on easy off and easy to clean. Mine were 54 dollars at the Farmers Coop. Mine are calf high being able to fold down the top part in summer to release any heat built up. I wrote in detail about them on my blog.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!