Monday, December 07, 2009

Butternut squash cake

As my regular readers know, I'm the proud owner of dozens of butternut squashes, and I'm constantly trying to find new recipes; I know those squashes won't make it through the winter without rotting, and I hate waste. I'm now starting to bake several at a time in the oven, spooning the cooked product out of the skin, and freezing the pulp.

Today I found a recipe for a cake that seemed to require no special ingredients and hurriedly printed it off. As soon as Cliff left for work, I started getting ready to bake. I put the pureed squash in a bowl, added the sugar, and looked at the recipe to see what came next.

I stopped in my tracks when I saw the amounts of certain ingredients: two tablespoons of cinnamon, two teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice, two teaspoons of baking powder, and two teaspoons of baking soda.

Something didn't seem right. I've never put two tablespoons of cinnamon in anything, ever. Two teaspoons of both baking power AND baking soda seemed strange to me, too. But I was already committed to baking the cake; I'd gone too far to turn back.

Running to the computer, I googled a different butternut squash cake recipe, and wished I'd used that one to begin with. What I ended up doing was changing quantities of certain ingredients using the new recipe as a guide. I made sort of a hybrid recipe, if you will.

I tasted the batter before pouring it in the cake pan, and it seemed all right; I'll let you know how it turns out. Next time I'll pay more attention to a recipe before I actually start mixing things.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like it will come out delicous. It took all I had not to buy a Zuccini Nut Bread while I was at Buckland Farms yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your cake recipe came out moist and delicious. I've never had butternut squash but I love summer squash. Does the butternut have a similiar flavor to summer squash?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I myself don't like all that much spices. A little goes a long way. That recipe maker must have tasted a little to much wine LOL. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lindie12:13 AM

    I have a recipe for cream of squash and tomato soup using butternut squash. If I like it after I make it, I will let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope that it turned out right for you. That's a lot of work to go through and then have it not be good. I'd think you could use the squash in any recipe that calls for pumpkin as they are very much alike. I used to make squash pie following my recipe for pumpkin. There are all kinds of recipes for pumpkin breads, cakes and cookies so I'd just go with them and substitute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay! I've read about 2 table spoons Cinnamon, changing reslpeas mid kitchen, Cliff Proff reading your lap top, my looking in for the latest up date on Cliff's 1855 project.
    (sniff) I'm so disapointed, no matter how much fun your having in the deepfreeze and enjoying Dolly's company.
    I do so enjoy reading your adventures. I almost wish you lived next door.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!