Monday, February 24, 2020

Rainy day

This time of year, it seems everybody is longing for spring.  Saturday morning when I went outside, it truly felt like spring was in the air.  Sunday wasn't bad either, but sometime in the night, it started raining; today is gloomy, cool, and wet, so it feels more like November.  

I accomplished nothing yesterday, didn't even go to church.  I woke up with acid reflux that pretty much disabled me, although I take omeprazole every morning.  I could find no relief, and was so miserable I took everything in the house that is supposed to help with stomach acid.  I also took an extra omeprazole capsule, which made three for the day.  You name it, I ingested it:  Pepto Bismal, baking soda, various over-the-counter products... I really didn't care if it killed me, just so it put me out of my misery.  I gave up coffee a couple of weeks ago and began drinking hot tea for breakfast, then quit that also.  This morning I simply drank hot water from my coffee cup.  I'm careful about the timing of the omeprazole, because it's to be taken fifteen to forty-five minutes before the first meal of the day.  Online advice tells me I shouldn't eat anything three hours before going to bed, so last night, after a day of misery, I followed that guideline (not that I was eating much anyway).  I've always just snacked in the evening right up to bedtime rather than sitting down to a meal.  There are so many changes I don't like, but I don't like being miserable, either.

OK, that's it for my whining.  I feel fine today.  We had to go to the bank, so I went into the store and got some peach-flavored herb tea for my morning drink.  Let's face it, hot water isn't very enjoyable unless it's flavored with something.  I tried it out when we got home, and it may become my drink of choice!  

I just finished the book "This Tender Land" by William Kent Krueger.  What an amazing piece of fiction it is, and very fulfilling.  There are many twists and turns, lots of scary moments.  The ending is satisfactory, wrapping up all the loose ends.  It's a book I won't soon forget.

We went to the Knights of Columbus fish fry in Lexington Friday night.  In past years, we've gone to several of the fish-fries in the area during each Lenten season.  But as I told Cliff, at $20 for the two of us, I think one is enough.  I'm getting rather particular about eating out:  I do like fish, but I also like the Mexican place at Richmond (reasonable prices) and the Italian place at Buckner (higher prices, but lots of food, and it's so good).  You can also get a good fish dinner year-around at the Bates City Cafe for a lower price, too.  The truth is, I don't enjoy eating out as much as I used to; I think more about the overall cost and quality than I once did.

For some reason, Gabe has started scarfing down his dog food like he did as a puppy, swallowing it whole, finishing in sixty seconds, and puking it up five minutes later.  Then he eats the regurgitated food and it stays down the second time.  He might be happy with that solution, but I am not, even though he always goes to the door so I can let him outside to do his vomiting.  So I dug out the old puzzle bowl I got for him when he was a puppy.  Boy, that does slow him down... and there's no upchucking afterward.  Of course, I got it on Amazon... where else?  I highly recommend it.
I'm going to miss my walk in the woods today, but it's been sprinkling or raining this whole day.  I have two books on the iPad to begin, but I'm still enjoying the glow from the one I just finished and it's hard to start anything else while I'm still ruminating on that one.

This is such a complaining, trivial entry that I'm not sharing it on Facebook like I do some entries.  It's a gloomy day, and nothing new is happening, so I may as well bring this to a close.

Yours truly,
Donna



    

4 comments:

  1. Should I know what book? I'm curious. I'm reading a book in Ann Cleeves' Shetland series. I love the series, and she also writes the Vera series, which is one of my favorites on TV. I've never had heartburn; is it like a huge stomachache? I adore eating out, but prefer small plates and appetizers to an actual meal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its raining and dreary here too. Thank goodness for books to read. They take me away to better places.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry about your acid reflux. My sister in law has it and takes prescription medication for it now. I know how awful it makes her feel when she has a bout with it. Nothing like a really good book to keep you thinking about it for a few days. I don't eat out much either. If I go to town I would rather come back home and eat something than go eat alone in a restaurant. Although my daughter, grandson and I went to town yesterday and ate out and I had a quesadilla burger, oh my goodness, it was sooo good and grilled green beans with a nice spice on them. Spring is coming along here too in northen MN. we had 5-6 days of above freezing so everything was sloppy and the snow gets mushy along the driveway. LOVE IT. Can't wait for green grass, flowers and a few things in my garden. Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. heartburn is wicked. once it grabs hold of you, it seems impossible to break free. i'm glad you were eventually able to get rid of it. i take pepcid complete. and often have to take two to make it go away. even though it's not recomended. it feels like november here too. expecting snow here wednesday and thursday. hope its not too much. you take care.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!