Thursday, May 16, 2019

I love this time of year

Monday is the day most women used to do their laundry.  However, I just wash whenever I have enough clothes for a load.  I have clothes on the line right now because I started a load of clothes washing at 4 AM.  Why?  Because this HD washer takes about two hours to get the clothes clean.  If I just push one button on the silly thing and let it wash, nothing comes out clean, so I've learned to push the "soak" button, which makes an incredible difference.  When this machine quits, I'm going back to an old-fashioned washing machine, and I'm not referring to a wringer washer; just a washing machine with an agitator. 

I have to try and watch what I'm feeding Cliff a little closer, because his wintertime belly is back.  I'm making meatloaf today; I warned him we'd be splitting a baked potato at noon instead of having mashed potatoes, which is what he loves with meatloaf.  I thought he was going to cry.  However, after he left to see the doctor (there's something in his eye), I decided to make a small amount of mashed potatoes with two medium-sized taters and leave out the butter and cream.  That will make him happier, I think, than a baked potato.  

He's been a lot more active lately, since his brother has a tractor they're working on.  Being active will go a long way towards losing the "preacher-belly" as I call it.  


This tractor is presenting Cliff and his brother with some new challenges.
Our A/C is running right now, and I'm thinking it's pretty silly to cook something in the oven when you are trying to cool the house, but I'm at the point of no return now.  The meat loaf is in the refrigerator, all mixed up and in the loaf pan.  

We went to the city yesterday.  Cliff bought a $700 welder at Harbor Freight 10 months ago that quit working this week, so he returned it for a new one.  Thank goodness it was guaranteed for a year.  This time he paid for an extended warranty, just in case.  Because we were in the general vicinity anyhow, we went to Costco for the first time in awhile.  I enjoy window-shopping there, especially in certain aisles.  This one is my favorite.  
Dishes and pans and silverware.  I seldom buy anything here because I don't need much, but I love looking.  Below is the other side of the aisle:
A few months ago, I bought a box of dishes from this aisle that I didn't need, but that for some reason fascinated me; I couldn't stop looking at those Ceramic glazed dishes with lock-tight plastic lids.  No one dish was the same pattern.  So I bought them; I love looking at them so much, I leave them stacked on the counter.


I use them mostly for leftovers.

Once when I was living in my first apartment in Kansas City, I had to get on one bus, then transfer to another downtown to get home from work.  Near the corner where I was waiting for the bus was a small shop with knick-knacks in it and I saw the cutest little bookends ever.  I was making minimum wage, bringing home $36 a week; by the time I paid my rent and a few groceries, and paid for bus fare, there was nothing left.  But I wanted those bookends so badly, the next payday I squeezed out however much I needed to buy them.  They somehow were lost during a move.  I had not lost my love for the bookends, so about 15 years ago I searched on Ebay and found the same exact Chinese bookends.  For all I know, they could be mine, right out of the past.

They aren't very heavy, so I can't expect them to hold up many books.

(continuing after dinner)

Boy, with interruptions here and there plus waiting for photos to load, I've been at this entry awhile.  I began it about 10 AM.  Since then I've cooked dinner (lunch to you city folks), had a decent meal, and read a little.  Oh, another one of my favorite buys at Costco...
2.5 pounds of spinach for... I forget, $4 or $5.  No more than that.  Cliff and I really like spinach, whether canned, frozen, or cooked from fresh.  But we like cooked-from-fresh the best.  There's enough spinach here for four or five generous meals for the two of us.  Of course we have to eat it within a week to ten days, but we have no problem with that; all I have to do is remember it's there, and so far I haven't forgotten any.  I never tasted spinach until I was grown and married.  I assume Mother didn't care for spinach, since I'm sure she never grew it in her garden or cooked it.  Another vegetable she never cooked that I discovered as an adult is broccoli.  I wish I'd thought to ask her while she was living whether she didn't like these two vegetables, or perhaps she just was never introduced to them.  My mother was NOT a picky eater, but she didn't like okra and tomatoes, and would make a face when she mentioned the dish, saying it was slimy.  She only liked okra fried.

I've been puttering in my tiny garden since it stopped raining the last few days.  I started it with the intention of having only two tomato plants.  Then the two became four, then six... yes, I'm a mess.  Although if my tomato crop is as much a failure as last year, I'll need a dozen plants just to get a few for the table.  Hope springs eternal in the human breast, though.  Maybe this is the year I'll have a great crop and will have to can some tomatoes to get rid of them.  Yeah, and maybe I'll win the lottery while I'm at it.

I've noticed my readership has slipped a lot since I don't post the blog link on Facebook.  That's exactly what I had in mind.  Now I have quality readership rather than a bunch of unknown stalkers.  

I hope everyone is enjoying springtime as much as I.  I believe I will go outside and sit in the hammock swing.  Gabe will have fun sniffing around the yard while I read.  Oh, I'm on the last chapter of "Just Mercy", which I think every American should read.  Meanwhile, both of the latest John Sandford books are waiting on the iPad for me to read; if I'd wanted to spend twenty bucks buying each of the books I'd have been able to read them six weeks ago, but I'd rather wait for my turn at the library and save my money for other things.  

Sincerely,
Donna


9 comments:

  1. I didn't discover broccoli until college and discovered that I loved it. I like pickled and fried okra, although it's harder to find here. Not a staple of our Northwest diet. :) I have four tomato plants and since mine got blight last year, my crop was skimpy at best. I'm hoping for more tomatoes from these unknown plants. (in a different planter) One of the types is supposed to be impervious to disease. We shall see. I like this time of year too. Summers have been a bit too hot for me lately. (90s too frequently!) and the past couple of Augusts, usually our nicest month, have been smoky with wildfire smoke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in a 3rd story loft apartment, so I saved seeds from my favorite cherry tomatoes. Then I shared them with everyone! Hopefully, I will see a return from my investments.
    Do you ever grow a cherry tomato or "salad bowl" in pots on your deck? Toss in a few dwarf marigolds.
    I think you and Cliff would enjoy my newest favorite channel: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCgclKg8oaVlkuCurCxo2hOw
    Tractors, cars, collectables, etc. Very sweet and interesting family!
    One of your quality readers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forgot! Alex sings too! Just like you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything sounds good! You do spoil Cliff though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i hope cliff liked the mashed potatoes. your dishes are sweet. love them. i love to window shop too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this time of year too. Tomorrow may be the first time I turn on the A/C as it is to hit 85 degrees. We've been below normal with just a few warmer days thrown in. It will not stay this warm. As far as readership goes, I think it has a lot to do with google. There are many blogs I can no longer comment on and I've heard others say they aren't getting as many comments these days, so that may be why. I can still comment on yours and for that I'm thankful. Yours was one of the first blogs I started reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS about the washing machines, Donna!! I needed a new washer about 6 years ago and oh my word, I tried 3 of them (delivered & picked-up again for a refund) before going to a store that still carried the old-fashioned agitator-type washer (they're hard to find these days). I bought a Speed Queen brand (like the ones in the Laundromats) and yes, it was expensive, but that thing washes better than any washer I've ever had in my 43 years of married life. But yes, I surely can relate to this discussion about washers. Those new-fangled "paddle" and "water sprays at the clothes" washers are worthless!! Love, Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your bright colorful dishes. I tend to buy things like that too. I don't need anymore, but sure as shootin', I'll get more yet. When My washer dies I too, will look for an agitator one. My daughter has the new fangled one, her kids' clothes don't come out clean when they are really grubby. Ugh. No thanks to that. I bet Cliff was very pleased that you made him a few mashed tators :-) I made a big roaster full of meatballs and gravy to take down to my son's this weekend. All my kids will be there for my granddaughters little dance recital.
    Waiting here for my garden to dry out enough to till it up. Now we are to get rain off and on for the next couple weeks, so who knows when I'll get it done. Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, it's been a while, but I couldn't agree more about the washer. We had so much trouble with our "efficient" one and I never felt anything really got clean. When the electronics gave out on it and it refused to drain (for about the fourth time) I told the husband to forget it, toss it, and go shopping. We bought the cheapest one Lowes had with the agitator and I LOVE IT. I am simply not impressed with the new stuff.

    And, side note, I miss hanging clothes out on the line. My fondest memories of raising our kids was my clothes line with a special lower line for the girl.

    Take care, Donna!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!