Friday, September 14, 2018

Ramblings

Recently I thought it would be fun to keep a jigsaw puzzle going in Cliff's shop, so anybody who has a notion to can help put it together.  A Facebook friend from Connecticut mentioned she had several of them in her basement that she should probably take to a thrift store.  "Oh no," I said.  "Send them to me and I'll pay the postage."  

Judy said she wanted to pay the postage because she's had so much joy following my blog, so that suits me.  I received them yesterday, and need to get myself to the shop and find a flat surface for puzzle-assembling.  I love having things around that have been sent to me by my Internet friends.  


Here's something:  The pole that holds the wire that brings electricity into our home (and the grandson's home) is BENT!  Cliff and I had gone somewhere, and when we turned onto our road and faced our place, he said, "Look at that pole!"  I have no idea how long it's been like that.  I turned it in accompanied by a picture; they sent someone out to check on it the same day.

Cliff had a doctor appointment yesterday, a routine physical.  Everything looked great, they said when they called, including his PSA.  Since he didn't have breakfast and it was noon when he got out of there, I thought we should eat out.  I told him he might like Cracker Barrel.  What a mistake that was!  Neither of us thought the food was great.  I find this happens more, the older I get.  I'm getting to the point that I prefer my own cooking more than eating out.  We do have a wonderful Italian place not far away, and a great Mexican restaurant.  But when it comes to American food, I prefer my own most of the time.  

Here's the funny thing.  Usually when I know we'll be shopping and messing up our schedule, I'll cook something in the morning before we leave so we won't HAVE to eat out.  Yesterday I got out the pressure cooker (the old-fashioned one that only has to cook pinto beans for three minutes), found some ham scraps from our Easter ham in the freezer to toss in when I added the onions, carrots, and celery, and there it was.  Believe me, when we were sitting at Cracker Barrel eating over-priced, not-so-good meals I was sure wishing I was home eating my pinto beans.  As it is, we had them today and will probably have the rest tomorrow.  

We went to an orchard for apples yesterday.  Fuji's, my favorite for eating, won't be ripe for awhile yet, so I bought 10 pounds of Jonathan apples for pie, and 10 pounds of Gala that will probably go bad before they get eaten.  This morning I made a pie; I also made 1 pie filling in a pan to freeze and wrap in foil.  That'll be handy when I want some pie but don't want to peel apples for an hour.  I'll just make the crust, put the frozen filling in it, cover it up with the top crust, and bake it.  

Oh, oh... I almost forgot.  I took a video of bees and butterflies on a rotten apple for your viewing pleasure.  Watch that lower butterfly!  His wings have eyes on them.




And there you have it:  A woman who will type whatever she can think of off the top of her head, just so she can attempt to bring her blog back to its former glory.  

That's my story (or my several stories) and I'm sticking to it.   

2 comments:

  1. It’s a good blog. We eat out often. I’m finding that it’s not as nice as it used to be.
    And we don’t eat much anymore. I think maybe it’s an old folks thing.
    Can you do a blog on an IPad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to pull out a jigsaw for the family after Christmas. It was a lot of fun and something to fill the hours in the wintertime. I'm with you I like my own cooking better than most restaurants. The last time I went to cracker barrell it was to look in their store and not to eat. It used to be pretty good food, but I like to see all the stuff in the store best.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!