Wednesday, October 04, 2017

Puppy report (and a report on my husband)

First, I'll let you know that Cliff saw his radiologist yesterday and will soon be starting radiation, probably within a week.  Meanwhile he stays busy working on the Ford tractor he recently purchased, which keeps him occupied while Gabe and our Little Princess occupy me.  

Gabe has bonded tightly with me and knows I'm his human.  He has now made one puddle on a carpet, but it's my own fault.  I woke him up to move him to another room to nap with the me and the kid.  Cliff said, "You'd better take him out to pee."  I didn't listen, and Gabe peed.  

Gabe is learning his name, and the meaning of "No!"  He isn't much of a chewer, which is surprising on a pup so young.  The three times I caught him with a charging cord in his mouth, a stern "No!" has been enough for him to drop the cord and move along to a toy that's permissible.  It's the same with licking:  He isn't terrible at licking people, but he does occasionally try, and "no" stops that.  I don't care to have any dog lick me, especially in the face.  More especially not a little Schnauzer I saw outside eating what appeared to be a tootsie roll, but turned out to be cat poop.  Yuck. 

Gabe seems to enjoy Little Princess, in spite of the fact she wants to carry him everywhere.  I'm trying to get the point across to her that he's happier on the floor or the ground, running around and following her.  She'll figure it out before long.  

As long as I go to bed as soon as I put him in the kennel beside my bed at night, he only whines softly a couple of times to make sure I'm there to talk to him, then is quiet the rest of the night.  I get up to go to the bathroom at least three times nightly and don't hear a peep out of him, but even though the cage is covered, he knows when I finally get up and head for the kitchen at 3 or 4 AM, and barks to remind me he's still captive.  I release him and take him outside first thing; then he has to have some lap time with lots of petting.  That done, he eats and drinks a bit and grabs a toy to play with.  

He has such a strong bond with me that yesterday evening when our daughter was visiting and offered to take him outside to potty, he refused to perform until I made an appearance.  I've been told this breed sometimes forms a strong attachment to one person, and I guess I'm the lucky person Gabe is attached to.   

Oh yes, and Gabe has made a friend of Buttons, the youngest cat in my clowder of felines.  Buttons was in need of a friend, since the older cats barely tolerate him; he's a little too full of vinegar and playfulness to suit their tastes.
  
I honestly didn't get a puppy so I'd have something to blog about, but apparently Gabe does serve that purpose.

Before I stop, I want to tell you how I ended up getting a Schnauzer.  Some years ago, Cliff stopped at an auto parts store.  As I was sitting in the car, a man drove in and parked beside me.  I noticed a distinguished-looking dog with little pointy ears sitting beside him in the seat.  The man got out of the car, but the little dog didn't budge from his spot, still seated in a dignified manner while keeping his eyes on his master.  When the man returned, the dog didn't jump up and squirm all over him, he simply looked up at his owner's face in adoration.

I came home and googled "dog with a beard".  The pictures I found looked like the little guy, so I knew what breed he was.  I had a problem dog at the time, and wasn't about to have another dog until she died.  That was Iris, who ran away and ended up right down the road at the home of some people who obviously loved her, despite her flaws.  I will always credit God for that turn of events. 

When Iris left, I had the tiny Princess to watch over and remained happily dog-free.  Iris had been such a shedder, I wasn't sure I'd even want another dog, ever!  The hair alone was enough to turn one against house-dogs for life.  

Then I read a book, "Following Atticus".  The hero of this biographical-type book was Atticus, a Mini-Schnauzer.  Again, I told myself if I ever got another dog, that would be the breed.  But I still didn't make a move, because my "puppy" was a human toddler who was all Cliff and I needed in our lives at the time.  Cliff, by the way, likes dogs OK, but he can take them or leave them.  In the case of house dogs, he'd rather leave them.  

Finally, the child we tended wasn't a baby any more, and I was ready:  Enter Gabe, stage right.

Peace.

7 comments:

  1. I do remember being told that when a dog wakes up you should take them out to avoid those puddles on the floor. If all you've had is one puddle, then I'd say you are doing something right for sure. As with children, puppies discover and learn something new all the time so I'm sure you will have many adventures days ahead. Sounds like Gabe is just what you needed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love dogs but right now I have Missy Kitty and she is enough of a handful and besides in my apartment, we are not supposed to have any animals. I was lucky..my original landlord said he wouldn't make anyone give up their pet.He is not the present owner. he is 96 and finally had to sell his rental properties.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love dogs but I'm better off not having one. I tried 3 different dogs after my Buzzy died and none of them were right for me. They were all clingy, none of them house trained and one started being food aggressive. I also have a brain/hearing issue called misophonia. I hate the sounds dogs make, eating, drinking, licking (especially certain body parts). So I have to enjoy them when they belong to someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gabe sounds like the perfect dog coming into your life at a great time! I grew up with dogs but don't intend to have one. My kitty wouldn't necessarily adapt very well, and I travel too much for a dog to be practical.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad Gabe is doing this well and that he has bonded with you. And I hope Cliff's radiation goes well too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww! Gabe is so cute. He isn't much bigger than they cat :-) Him and the little girl sleeping are so darned cute! So happy he is doing so well for you. Glad to read Cliff's treatments are starting and that he is doing well also. Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  7. good luck to cliff. gabe sounds like a real sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!