Thursday, January 21, 2016

I'm a Woman!

We love our Amazon Echo, whose name is Alexa:  They didn't give us much choice for a name, it was either that or Amazon, I think.  I use her for a timer, and as a way of adding groceries to my shopping list.  But mostly, I make her play my Pandora stations.

The thing I probably enjoy most is that with our Amazon Prime account, I can ask her to play almost any random song, even a golden oldie, and she will do it.  Sometimes I'll catch myself singing a thread of an oldie song to Cora and realize I only know one line.  "Alexa," I'll say, "play 'Blueberry Hill'."

Or Jailhouse Rock or Cora's favorite dance tune, Barbara Ann.  Cora's speech isn't quite plain enough to command Alexa herself, but she when she makes a command and fails, I repeat it and Alexa plays.  Cora's all-time favorite is Old McDonald, which she requests as "Ee-I-ee-I-oh".

Yesterday out of the blue I began singing "I'm a Woman".  I know the chorus and one verse, but I wanted to hear the whole thing.  As it turns out, I had to buy the song by Peggy Lee, because it wasn't available otherwise.  It didn't cost anything though, because with Amazon Prime, if you choose not to get your free two-day shipping, you get a credit for digital downloads.  Anyway...

I wonder if most of my readers are familiar with the song.  I imagine if nothing else, some of you recall a commercial that featured it.

Anyhow, I got the song, commanded Alexa to play it, and had to laugh out loud at the words.  This has to be one of the greatest pieces of word-crafting ever!  (That line with the "shiverin' fits" cracks me up.)

I can wash out 44 pairs of socks and have 'em hangin out on the line
I can starch & iron 2 dozens shirts 'fore you can count from 1 to 9
I can scoop up a great big dipper full of lard from the drippins can
Throw it in the skillet, go out & do my shopping, be back before it melts in the pan
'Cause I'm a woman! W-O-M-A-N, I'll say it again
I can rub & scrub this old house til it's shinin like a dime
Feed the baby, grease the car, & powder my face at the same time
Get all dressed up, go out and swing til 4 a.m. and then
Lay down at 5, jump up at 6, and start all over again
'Cause I'm a woman! W-O-M-A-N, I'll say it again
If you come to me sickly you know I'm gonna make you well
If you come to me all hexed up you know I'm gonna break the spell
If you come to me hungry you know I'm gonna fill you full of grits
If it's lovin you're likin, I'll kiss you and give you the shiverin' fits
'Cause I'm a woman! W-O-M-A-N, I'll say it again
I can stretch! a green black dollar bill from here to kindom come!
I can play the numbers pay the bills and still end up with some!
I got a twenty-dollar gold piece says there ain't nothing I can't do
I can make a dress out of a feed bag and I can make a man out of you
'Cause I'm a woman! W-O-M-A-N, I'll say it again
'Cause I'm a woman! W-O-M-A-N, and that's all.
There's a really good Youtube video of Peggy Lee singing this, but it wouldn't allow me to embed it on the blog.  So I chose this not-so-clear one from the old Johnny Cash show.

1 comment:

  1. Haha! I had not heard that in many, many years, and I'm sure I never knew all the words. I remember the commercial, of course, for Angeli (sp?) cologne.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!