Monday, July 08, 2013

We visited a bridge from my childhood

We went to Kansas City today: I was excited to go, while Cliff just wanted to get it over with.
Here's where we met up with David Remley, the photographer.  You couldn't ask for a better guide to show you around Kansas City.  He is quite knowledgeable about the city and its past; it's obvious he loves his home town.


The ASB bridge in the background
That levee was my playground from the time I was twelve until I was fifteen.  You can't go down to the river from the Harlem side any more, but on the other side is a river walk that actually takes you UNDER the bridge. 


Here's how my bridge looks today, but from the other side of the river.  When I was a kid living over there, there weren't any trees, and there wasn't a fence to keep you away.  

Just think of all the exercise we got going up and down those steps.  


There was nobody to stop my visiting cousins and me from walking up the steps and playing around on the sidewalk that went the full length of the bridge along the west side.



In fact, I sent my cousins to the middle of the bridge, with traffic going both ways around them.  Back then I would do anything for an interesting picture.  

David took lots of pictures on our walk.

I can see him photoshopping this some day.  

Yes, friends and neighbors, this is the face of a photographer with too much time on his hands.  When he's bored, he messes with the pictures of innocent people.  

You can tell by the picture behind us what kind of joint he took us to, right?  Well, the food at Harry's Country Club was delicious.  I had the Cuban sandwich, just because it was something different.  You can check out the menu HERE.    

I have another story about visiting the City Hall, but I'll save that for another time.  Be sure to read David's blog entry about our visit to the River Walk.  

I have to tell you that Cliff really did enjoy himself, even though he will never admit it to me.  We have a whole different impression of downtown Kansas City.  Finally the words to the song from the musical "Oklahoma" have come true:  Everything IS up to date in Kansas City.

5 comments:

  1. My kind of tour. Looks like you both had fun. Glad you enjoyed yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a great time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday, of course -- and glad you got to spend it with people you love / like and in places you remember fondly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does look like a lot of fun there on your bridge walk. It's a little strange to go back to places of your childhood and see how it's all changed. I've lived here all my life and the changes have been unreal. Glad you all had such a good day.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!