Tuesday, January 08, 2013

It happens every January

I'm making up these statistics, but this is how it appears to me.  Every New Year's Day in America:
25% of the people resolve to lose weight.
25% of the people who have managed to keep their weight at a proper level all their lives ask themselves, "Why do these idiots let their weight get so out of control?"  And yet, many in this group wish the best for the dieters, cheering them on from the sidelines.  I always appreciate that.  
The other 50% of the (usually overweight) people say, "Why do they bother?  They're just going to fizzle out in a few weeks and gain the weight back again.  Not me!  I only live once, and I'm going to eat what I like!"  
We see them, one by one, succumb to diabetes and heart problems and strokes. 
I've been in that 50% group a few times.  This year, though, Cliff and I are in the bunch of fatties losing weight.  The memory of Cliff's open heart surgery in July of 2006 motivates me more than anything else.  I'm not ready to be a widow yet.  
I didn't make a New Year's resolution, just so you know; this simply happens to be a good time to start, what with all the holiday gluttony behind us.  
I think the longest we ever maintained our weights at an acceptable level was two years.  Wouldn't it make sense to step on the scales weekly and, if I see I've gained two pounds, take it off right then?  Of course it would.  I don't know why I don't do that.  
Why do we keep trying, when we always fail eventually?  
I used to smoke.  I took up the nasty habit when I was twenty-one, and finally quit for good somewhere in my thirties.  But before that, I quit at least two dozen times, only to start smoking again.  Each time I tried to quit was harder than the previous time, but I finally won the battle.  
Failure isn't final.    
Now, the trouble with losing weight is that you can't just quit eating, the way a person quits smoking.  Temptation is everywhere, even at home.  We are eating the food that's good for us, but it's very easy just to have another little helping because it's so GOOD.  
So yeah, I'm trying again, which means Cliff is too.  I may go to my grave fat, but I hope I never stop trying.  And I hope I keep my smart remarks to myself when those around me decide to take the weight off for the umpteenth time, because this pot has no excuse for calling the kettle black.      


6 comments:

  1. Good luck to you & your hubby, Donna. Losing weight is NO fun & the older we get the harder it is... as the old (truthful) saying goes. *bleh*

    I used to be 50+ lbs. heavier than I am now... about 10 years ago. I started menopause in my mid-40s & I distinctly remember starting to lose weight as I approached my 50th b/d. I don't know what happened but food just didn't taste as good to me anymore & the cravings were gone. The hot flashes stopped about the middle of my 50th year & it felt like a veil was lifted from me... I felt so much better.

    I don't know if these "tips" will help you or not... or whether you even welcome them. If you don't, just stop reading here... my feelings won't be hurt. :)

    The most successful I'd ever been with a diet was the one where I didn't limit my portions *in the least* but I took in absolutely NO sugar and NO fat. I bought everything I could find that said no fat & no sugar on it... and I ate however much I wanted. I didn't count calories & I didn't watch my portions. I didn't try to "balance" my eating & I didn't try to eat "healthy" (cos I knew that losing weight would be healthy in & of itself). So if I wanted to eat half a canister of fat-free Pringles, I did. I loved the fat-free hotdogs on FF hot dog buns. They make so many things today that are both fat-free & sugar-free. And I never drank milk because of the lactose sugar in it... but I'd use the FF coffee creamer in my coffee. I loved the sugar-free rice pudding & tapioca pudding in the refrigerated section of the grocery store too.

    As I said... I didn't count calories, watch portions, or concentrate on healthy eating. I just made sugar that not ONE gram of sugar or fat ever passed my lips. And it worked!!

    Now, with the whole menopause thing being over, my tastebuds have changed dramatically. I eat practically no carbs (never drink juice, never drink milk, never drink pop... just water & coffee) and I very seldom eat "carby" foods like bread, rice, potatoes, corn, peas, and all that jazz. It's not that I'm trying to not eat those things... they just don't "call my name" in the least anymore... since menopause is over. Weird but I'm not complaining.

    Good luck, girl. Try that no-fat no-sugar thing & see if it helps you. It sure did me, those years ago.

    XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always glad to hear suggestions from others. This one, however would NOT work for me. Any time you tell me I can NOT have something, that's exactly what I have to have! We seem to do best with moderation, eating natural foods. My son-in-law does best with a modified Atkins diet, my daughter likes counting calories. Basically, counting calories is what works for us; it's just that we start eating a little more and a little more, and next thing you know we are gaining weight again. We know how to lose the weight; all we have to do is have the strength of will to keep it off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your food pyramid. It's a great way to look at what we eat. The fact that you want to do well with your diet is half the battle I think. When you want something bad enough, it is a great motivator. I'll be cheering you on from the side lines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last night, Jesse said to me "Hey, I need to gain some weight! We're having a Biggest Loser contest at work!"
    I said "Wasn't it you claiming 'WE' were going on a diet?!"
    He said "Yeah, but some of these guys are pretty big....how do I stand a chance against that?! I gotta gain some weight so I can lose it!"
    Me: "You have lost your damn mind..."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think moderation is the key to all things and finding low calorie food that satisfies the taste buds and the need to chew/crunch. If I have fresh veggies around, I'm much less likely to eat chips.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, the diet bug. Always seems to come around the start of the new year. It helps if you're willing to cook most of your meals at home -- eating out regularly kills a good diet. For us this year, it's trying to exercise. I just started back in after a 3 week break for Christmas and the week Will was in the hospital. Keep us appraised of what you and Cliff are eating. MGW

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!