Saturday, May 26, 2012

One of many reasons I hate English Sparrows

This is a half-grown bluebird I found on the bare floor of the bluebird house.  Sparrows kept building nests in there for a couple of months, and I'd tear out the nests before they could use them.  I really don't know what this little guy was doing in there with no nest, but he was; Cliff and I were heading for our walk, and I wanted to check for sparrow nests.  At first I thought he was dead, but when I reached for him, he moved.  
"Remind me when we get back," I said.  "I'll see what's up with this bird."
We both forgot when we got back, so it was probably a half-hour later when I thought of it.  As I headed toward the birdhouse I noticed a sparrow sitting atop it, and another one nearby shouting encouragement.  That's when I realized the sparrows were intent on killing him.  If he dies, he'll be the third such victim of cruel sparrows.  


  See his poor bloody head?  I have him in a bucket.  I'm hoping he will be able to rest up and get his strength back in a few hours, but I'm not expecting it.


I think the bluebirds would be better off if I would just take the birdhouse down.  

6 comments:

  1. Nature can be cruel indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes there is no fighting what nature puts in place. We are trying to deal with some large starlings and their babies who are trying to take over our feeders scaring the little birds away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suppose he was hiding the best he could from those hateful sparrows. I didn't put out much seeds this past winter and this spring hoping they would leave. They are still around building in the birdhouses and ganging up on themselves and other birds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate how cruel those sparrows are. That poor little thing looks hopeless. You were nice to intervene.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had no idea sparrows are so mercenary!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!