Sunday, May 13, 2012

Of strawberries and yearling heifers

Yesterday I told Cliff, "Enjoy those strawberries; they're about done, and I won't be picking any more."  
While on my morning walkabout, I went over near the strawberry patch and, although most of the berries are too tiny to waste time on now, I saw some decent-sized ones there also.  I was going to just get a handful, bring them inside to wash them, and eat them myself.  However, there were far too many to bring inside in my hands.  
OK, maybe one more day of strawberries on my Cheerios.  I took a bowl out and picked enough for our breakfast.  I may even head out after Church and pick enough for another round of shortcake.  
The amazing thing about my strawberry patch is that I don't do things right.  There are many things you are supposed to do to keep the berries coming, and to make sure they are big and plump.  There isn't supposed to be grass in there, hiding the berries.  Despite my lazy ways, we have had our fill of strawberries, and there are probably twenty-five pints in the freezer.  




On another note, Jody the yearling heifer is in heat this morning.  She is old enough to be bred, so I'll call the A.I. guy and see if he can come out this afternoon.  We haven't had any luck with artificial insemination in the past few years, but I guess we'll give it another try.  I really don't want to take her to Cliff's brother's bull, because you don't want a heifer to have a huge calf, which is what she'd have from that Hereford bull.   Bonnie's former owners told us we could take a cow to their Jersey bull, but my goodness that's a long way to go, especially considering we'd first have to go in the opposite direction to borrow a livestock trailer.  
If Jody breeds and settles, the calf will be due around February 19.  Not the best time, but since she is tame and we don't have a huge farm it won't be hard to keep a close eye on her.  If it's bitter cold, I can be there to dry the calf off so its ears and tail don't freeze.  
Wish us luck!  


Well, the breeder has Mother's Day plans.  Can't blame him for that.  So we can wait three weeks, I guess.

3 comments:

  1. in the city AI stands for artificial intelligence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those fresh strawberries sound like a wonderful treat for you for Mothers Day. It's a bright and sunny day here! But no strawberries at my house...Hope your day is a blessed one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No strawberries here, what a good yield you've had there. What I wouldn't give for some of your shortcake. bet it's the best. ENJOY. HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!