Thursday, November 11, 2010

Here comes winter

It's harder for me to come up with subjects for my blog, this time of year, because there's less going on around here.  The garden is a thing of the past, although we're still eating tomatoes I brought in before the frost.
  
They aren't pretty.  In fact, I didn't have a pretty tomato all year.  They all developed splits.  However, they taste fine, even the ones I brought in green that are gradually ripening.  We don't subscribe to a newspaper any more, so I didn't have enough paper to wrap all the green ones; that's what you're supposed to do with them. They're still better than store-bought tomatoes.    
Cliff plowed up a new spot for me, and that's where I'll put all the vegetables that are susceptible to blight next year.  The experts suggest a three-year rotation, and I believe I have my rotation figured out.  
Cliff wasn't happy with the performance of the plow, which he bought to use with the 550 Oliver.  He adjusted it every which way and it still wasn't turning over the soil as well as it should have.  He thinks it needs new shares; I believe the main problem was that the ground is hard as a rock from no rainfall for a month.  Perhaps it's a combination of both factors.  

4 comments:

  1. I have some greenies still, I should take them out of the kill box (refrigerator) where my husband put them and wrap them up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindie9:29 AM

    I just used my last home grown tomato. ;( I do have 8 quarts of green tomato pickles almost ready to try though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They may not be pretty, but I'll bet they taste like summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are just finishing up the last of ours. I never got around to wrapping mine in paper. I just left them on a large counter and they all turned red. I was amazed. I did put a few in a paper bag with an apple and they did ripen faster however. But I wasn't in a hurry. We feel blessed to still have fresh tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!