Monday, November 08, 2010

Goodbye Dish, hello Direct TV

My contract with Dish wasn't up until February, but two different customer service people said I could leave whenever I wanted.  A couple of people on Facebook warned me to get it in writing, that Dish is notorious for being difficult to cancel.  
So I decided to go ahead and cancel our account today, rather than wait until tomorrow, when Direct TV is supposed to be installed here.  That way if something tripped me up, I'd have time to call Direct and cancel.  
I did change my tactics a bit.  I've been calling and telling Dish all the reasons I want rid of them.  Today I stole a page from my mother's book.  
The first person I spoke with asked the same questions they always do; I told him I wanted to discontinue my Dish account.  He asked me why.  
"My husband is getting ready to retire, and we're not going to be able to make ends meet," I told him.  
He transferred me to someone else; I knew what was next.  Somebody was going to try and talk me into staying with them.  
"So, why do you want to discontinue service with Dish," the new guy asked.  
"My husband is getting ready to retire, and we're not going to be able to make ends meet."  
"Well, let's see if we can find a cheaper plan for you," he says.  
"Oh, that won't work; the cheaper plan takes away our favorite programs.  If we give those up, we may as well use an antenna, which is what we're going to have to do anyway."  
"OK, well then.  We could freeze your account for six months and if times get better for you, you could get back with Dish."  
Sighing piteously into the telephone, I said, "Times never get better for those of us on a fixed income."  
So then he proceeded to explain how I had to return the receiver and some things that look like eyes that are on the satellite, and we have to pay the postage.  Fine, I told him.     
Then he said, "When would you like us to discontinue your service?"  
You mean I have a choice?  
"Oh, it would be great if you could do it tomorrow morning," I said, elated.  
And here I thought I was going to miss my favorite Monday night programs.  
Thank you, Mother.  You taught me well.  
Oh, I got nothing in writing, but I think I'm OK.  
Who would want to cause trouble for a poor old widow lady  (that was my mom's line), or poor old retirees on a fixed income? 

9 comments:

  1. I hope Dish doesn't read blogs :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave, hopefully even if they do, they can't connect this blog with my actual name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go, You!!! I love it. -T

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and John would make a good pair. John got free teeth exrays and exam by putting on the sob story. I go to the same dentist and all they give me is a large bill.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job! I have to call today and freeze my Dish account at the lake until summer. I wonder how that will go.......

    ReplyDelete
  6. You'll have to let us know how you like Direct

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:21 AM

    Will be interesting to hear if there are more chapters in the story of DISH.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, even if the dish folks did read your post ... they know all the tricks of the trade and they know when they've lost someone.

    I'm calling the cable company this week to see how badly they want to keep us as customers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad it worked for you. So far that line hasn't done a thing for me and I am a poor widow lady on a fixed income.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!