Sunday, November 07, 2010

Bonnie and son are home

We headed out to Tommy's place bright and early this morning.  
He had Bonnie and Clyde all penned up and waiting.  


We were introduced to Mr. Bull, who is quite a pet.  Still, I don't trust bulls.


There's just something scary about their body mass and their gigantic heads.  


Tommy gets free discarded bread at the day-old bread store on Sundays and feeds it to his cows.  They love it.  Who knew?  He sent some home with us, for Bonnie and Clyde.  


It goes without saying that the guys talked tractors for awhile.  If Cliff visits your farm, the first thing he will want to see is your tractor.  He'll look it over front to back, peer into its inner regions, mumble to himself, and then back off and get the broad picture.  
He's so predictable.  
Bonnie seems to miss her new-found friends a little; she bawls every once in awhile.  She's always been a very vocal cow.  
So now let us hope she settled and is pregnant with a heifer.  It will do me no good to ask you to pray it's a heifer, because it already is what it's going to be.  
If not, I will still have something to look forward to:
Guess what we had for dinner today?  Sir Loin was a good steer... a delicious steer, in fact.  We behaved ourselves, and didn't eat the fat.  OK, I confess I had a tiny bite of it.  Iris got the rest.  
I'll tell you another time about how, at the age of sixty-six, I finally learned how to cook ribeye steaks properly.

9 comments:

  1. That steak looks so good! I don't eat a lot of red meat but when I do I like a really good cut of sirloin or tenderloin. I'm not much good at grilling steaks though, usually over cook them for my crowd that likes them pretty rare. Oh well, the food here is not that great but the price is right, that's what my dear MIL used to say. I miss her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wondering why you are wanting a heifer? A second milker?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good to see your cows are home where they should be. Now we wait to see how things went. Your Bonnie is a good producer both with her milk and with her babies. That bull with his face full of white really didn't look all that scary. But here I am on the other side of a computer which is about the only place I'm likely to run into one. Glad you had a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michaele, I want another cow here to enjoy and to have babies, but I want it to be a pet like Bonnie is. I probably wouldn't worry about milking her, since she'll be beef cross and won't give such a terrible amount of milk... although I have milked beef cross cows before.
    Anyhow. The only way to get a cow to be a pet is to raise her from a calf.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sir Loin looks tasty. I hope Bonnie is in the family way! Here is hoping for a heifer this time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:59 AM

    I've never tried frying steak in a pan. I always broil it or ask my Hubby to grill it. It just seemed like the meat should be near a flame. I'll have to try it this way, next time.

    BTW--Sir Loin is a great name for a steer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vicki9:27 AM

    How and when will you know that Bonnie is preggo? That bull looks like he has a smirk on his face. Beautiful steaks. Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vicki, she will come into heat on Thanksgiving day (or the day before or the day after) if she isn't bred. Usually unless the cow has a problem, the bull gets the job done. I stopped using artificial insemination because it just wasn't working for me, although years ago that's the only method I had for breeding my cows.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Domestic Mom, my readers named Sir Loin. When my cow has a boy calf, I ask for name suggestions and then do a poll so people can vote on the names. If she ever has a girl, I will name it myself.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!