Monday, November 01, 2010

What's in Cliff's lunchbox?

I'm sure Cliff's co-workers wonder about some of that stuff that he brings from home and puts in the microwave.  Let's face it, most people either take a sandwich or buy stuff out of the machines.  Cliff's been taking things like ratatouille, chicken gumbo, and smothered okra, this summer.  


Today he'll be having borscht, which of course requires sour cream.  When country hicks meet Russian recipes, they add corn bread on the side.  Hey, borscht is beet and cabbage soup, right?  Around here, corn bread goes with soup.  
I would never have tried making borscht if I hadn't run into a guy on the Internet who was born and raised in Russia.  Meesha had a bunch of pictures with the recipe on his blog, and he made it look and sound so good, I had to try it.  I made it two or three times last winter.  
I have some beets in the garden that I planted in the spring; they grew to huge proportions, and I don't use that many beets.  Not long ago I decided to try one and see if it was fit to eat after all this time:  I peeled it and diced it and cooked it in the microwave, then made harvard beets from it.  It was perfectly good.  
So yesterday I brought in another big specimen, peeled and quartered it, and started the process of making borscht.  Meesha recommended four medium beets in his recipe; I used one giant beet, weighing upwards of two pounds.  
Borscht is delicious.  Just don't forget the sour cream, because without that, it's rather bland stuff.  I can hardly wait till supper tonight, because like most soup, it's better the second day.     

12 comments:

  1. nerves05 ( Nancy)3:09 PM

    This beet looks like a big Ruby.
    It's huge, but pretty.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one huge beet! Special seeds or perfect soil? Is the borscht served hot or cold?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer hot, but it's good cold too. The beets got so huge because of all the rain we had this summer. Normally beets left in the garden that long aren't good, but these taste just like young ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've GOT to try that some day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:19 PM

    Ok.
    A beet that looks like a body organ.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love beets and borscht. I wish you made my lunches!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I have NEVER had that and can't even imagine what it tastes like. I don't think - as much different stuff as we eat around here - that I have ever even tried a beet. I don't recall it. I thought it was going to be strawberry shortcake with whip cream. Well, that is what it looked like. lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Borscht. Another excuse to eat sour cream :) CH loves beets any way we make them and sour cream has to be on the table!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lindie7:14 PM

    I have never made borscht, but love beets. Maybe I will try to grow them next summer. I made split pea soup yesterday with ham hocks. Added some carrots too. Very good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, found you from Sprout Wood Farm. I couldn't believe when I was skimming through and saw this. I LOVE Borscht. My Grandparents came from Russia, knew very little English. My mom stood by her one day and wrote down the recipe as my grandmother made it so she could make it as we all loved it. I just took the pictures to put on my blog on how I made it. I'll have to post it one of these days: I'll try to do it this coming week sometime. It's so wonderful, but yes, sour cream is a MUST!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry, it's Sprout n Wings blog I saw you from. Sorry, Michaele (if you read this). There's a Sproutwood Farm around here and I messed up.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!