Friday, November 26, 2010

Black Friday

I awoke shortly after 4 A.M. and, of course, came to the computer as soon as my coffee was ready.  Good grief, people were already tweeting and Facebooking all over the place from their spots in line at various stores.  
I've only done Black Friday once, several years ago with my daughter; because it was a first for me, I enjoyed it; if you like people-watching, that's a time to do it.  These days, you couldn't pay me to get out there; it makes my feet and knees hurt just thinking about it.  
Honestly, I've noticed that people no longer confine their pushing, shoving, and rudeness to Black Friday.  It goes on the year around, except that the crowd isn't as large, so there's less likelihood of being trampled.  Unless you're at Blue Springs Walmart, where danger lurks twenty-four hours a day, 364 days a year.   
There is one item I wish I could have gotten somehow at the Black Friday price: that Barnes and Noble Nook reader I've been wanting.  It's normally $149, but Walmart featured it as a doorbuster for $99.  Barnes and Noble had it online for $99 also, but they were sold out at that price by the time I got there.  Oh well.  If you snooze, you lose.
Barnes and Noble has plenty of $99 refurbished Nooks on Ebay, but Cliff thinks I should spend the money and get a brand new one.  Since he's the one making the money, I suppose I'll listen to him.  


I'll be watching and waiting for all the horror stories (and success stories) from the Black Friday shoppers.

4 comments:

  1. We tried it this morning and left the house at 2:30 ish for a 3:00 a.m. Old Navy run. We had a blast. Katy got cheap stuff - definitely a Dave Ramsey way to shop. We have lots to wrap up for her now that she picked out (she likes to do that). The lines were long. Everyone around us was nice. Lots of tired faces. And one Mom had a teenager asleep in her buggy. I'd heard you see strange things. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. No black Friday for me. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know it's all the rage but I just can't see standing in line at O'Dark-Thirty for a chance to spend money. I usually wait until a day or two before and get good deals, although selection can be limited. I tend to give gift cards so folks can catch the after-sales and get the specific items they want.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the deals, but not the crowds. Didn't do it this year.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!