Friday, November 19, 2010

Doctors

Cliff got up before dawn today; he's practicing for retirement.  
He asked me if I could find a website for Dr. Gallion, the man who did his CABG surgery four-and-a-half years ago.  
I did find a website HERE (scroll down to see the doctor's picture) but it wasn't very impressive, considering Dr. Gallion walks on water.  He went to school at Baylor, in Texas.  If you go to his office, you'll see classy ladies in high heels, dressed to the nines.  Funny stuff, really.  Cliff still smiles when he thinks about the ladies who work for the man who walks on water.  


This is how I remember the good doctor:  he was telling us that Cliff's surgery was successful.  
Keep in mind that Cliff went to see a nurse-practitioner on Tuesday with what he though was indigestion; was referred to a cardiologist, Dr. Nager, the next day; and was scheduled for surgery on Thursday, with doctors who usually require an appointment months in advance.  
But they squeezed Cliff in.  
Oh, Dr. Nager's group is on a website too.  You'll find him HERE.  


This is how I remember Dr. Nager, explaining to Cliff the results of his angiogram.  He didn't make a big impression on us, our first meeting.  But it took him to get us to that man who walks on water.  So I've learned to love him.  He's the one Cliff sees when he needs to check in with a cardiologist.    
Cliff thinks I should write a letter to Dr. Gallion to express our appreciation, and to let him know about the wonderful results of yesterdays stress test.  I did write him a letter of appreciation shortly after Cliff's surgery, and I probably will do so again.  Do you suppose doctors read such letters?    
Here's where it all starts to sound like that old story, "The house that Jack built".  
Cliff would never have seen Dr. Nager had he not gone to our regular clinic to see a nurse practitioner about what he thought was indigestion.  I don't have any pictures of that nurse-practitioner.  
I wouldn't have set up an appointment with that nurse-practitioner if my friend from the outskirts of Washington, DC, had not visited.  I do have pictures of Joanna.


It was cold when she was here, and Cliff didn't really take her for a ride.  They just posed, and I took the picture.  
See, I mentioned to Joanna that Cliff was having indigestion; she said we should have that checked out, because her brother-in-law went to a doctor for "indigestion", and was sent directly to the hospital for heart surgery.  
Which is exactly what happened to Cliff.   
And that's the house that Joanna built.  
So perhaps I need to write four letters.  

7 comments:

  1. Yes. Send the letters. I can't imagine they ever get tired of hearing that people are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find that sending letters of appreciation always makes ME feel great. I don't even care if the other people read them. It's a way for me to feel positive and thankful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Joanna now because I've met her and she's the shit. Oh. Sorry for saying "the shit" on your blog comments.

    I loved Joanna before I met her because she saved my Dad's life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joanna is all that. And she loved ME before she ever met me. Joanna rocks. She's right up there with Lona. Which means she walks on water.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doctors and nurses love to get thank yous - we had a doctor that squeezed David in when he had an infected pilonidal cyst (that had been badly misdiagnosed by another MD) - David got an emergency appt that day and 10 minutes after arriving was in the small procedures room having it removed. I wrote a thank you to the doctor and staff and at David's followup the doctor thanked him for such a nice note. Most offices will have a place to post them too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea. I think that especially at Thanksgiving notes of appreciation are due. I try to thank all the special people in my life often.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I owe some doc's a letter also but it has been a while since they were used. Helen

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!