Monday, February 18, 2008

A letter to my body

I got the idea for this from Average Jane.

Dear Body,

I surely appreciate the way you’ve stood by me and put up with the way I’ve mistreated you since my birth.

In fact, I wasn’t supposed to survive my birth, but thanks to you, Body, I made it; and so did my mom.

Your healing capacity is amazing.

Not quite as good as I’d like, but hey... I’ve pushed the limits.

I went barefoot all my life until plantar faciitis came to visit. Was that necessary? Have I told you how much I miss going barefoot?

I exercised, walking three miles a day... until you decided it was time for my knees to give out.

And what is it with the pain in my left hand? You know, the muscle I need to use when I wring something out? It hurts! I can’t even open a jar of peanut butter these days.

While I’m at it, why can’t I hear the television?

Dear body, I know you’d like me to watch what I eat so I’d lose weight. And I’d like that myself.

Trouble is, I’ve noticed how brief is my span on earth. And I wonder if life without pizza is really worth living. It probably isn’t.

Body, I don’t intend to give up caffeine. Caffeine is the only reason I get out of bed in the morning.

I still take my daily walks, aching knees and all, although I only go half the distance I used to. It isn't much fun in cold weather, but I go, just for you. In spite of the walks, I notice that top number on my blood pressure has crept up to over 150 in the past months; what's with that? Am I wasting my time walking and leaving salt off my food?

You did well with the way you nurtured the two babies I birthed. But why is it that now everything important to me has drooped or wrinkled or dried up or started hurting?

When it’s all said and done, you’re the only body I have. So I guess I have to tell you how much I appreciate you. It's been good. I just wish you could have kept the youthful vigor.

Thanks for everything, Body. Please forgive me for the abuses.

Thanks for putting up with all the mistreatment.

Without you, life wouldn’t be worth much.

3 comments:

  1. Amen, sister! Preach on! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post! Keep it coming!

    I saw you are from Kansas City, as well...small world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:28 PM

    Who says we have to give up caffeine. I'm counting on the studies that say coffee and caffeine in moderation is actually good for our body!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!