Friday, February 22, 2008

I'm back in the present now

I can only submerge myself in my mom's old keepsakes and pictures for so long before the house begins to look like a dumping ground and I turn into a zombie. So I've stopped dividing and boxing pictures for awhile. I've scanned until I'm sick of scanning, and I've taken the boxes and totes back upstairs. At least I've begun the task; after a few weeks break, I'll take it up again.

By the way, there are other old pictures on my AOL journal that I didn't show here, if you enjoy strolling down memory lane with me.

Trouble is, except for the weather, there's not much blogging material right now. Winter drags along. At my age, I should be thankful when time's passage slows, because my life is flying by.

This morning my Bible reading included this prayer by David: "Lord, remind me how brief my time on earth will be. Remind me that my days are numbered, and that my life is fleeing away. My life is no longer than the width of my hand. An entire lifetime is just a moment to you: human existence is but a breath."


My days aren't bad now, just unstructured. We're not eating right. Because of the weather, we're not going for our daily walk. The two local granddaughters have spent the better part of two days here, since school has been canceled due to slick roads here in the boonies. They're no trouble to have around, at ages 10 and 12. These days they don't even argue that much, and when they do, one reminder will stop them.

I want to ride Blue again. I want to go for a motorcycle ride. But the fact that I've been unable to do these things for so long will make it even sweeter when I finally can.

Here's an excerpt from a letter my Aunt Mary wrote to my mom in 1945:

"I got me a new gasoline iron on Sunday; imagine that! It is second-handed but she said she just lit it up just three or four times. It looks just like new."

Now to me, a gasoline iron sounds dangerous. I googled to find out what I could and got this picture.

Then I read a bit about the history of the iron.

Which shows you how stir-crazy I really am, since ironing is strictly taboo around here.

1 comment:

  1. My Mom had a iron she would heat up on the wood stove and then use I never seen one like this before
    I think it is just neat to go thru the old stuff

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!