Sunday, November 10, 2019

Some people just know how to get things done

Cliff was reading an article on Facebook a while ago about a guy who was eating at a Waffle House.  This fellow noticed there was only one employee working, and there were thirty customers in the restaurant, so when he finished his meal, he put on an apron and pitched in.  Cliff just thought that was an amazing thing to do.

“But Cliff,” I said, “we saw Joyce (our tractor club secretary) do that same thing while we were eating in a restaurant during one of our bus trips, and as soon as she started helping out, others joined her.”

“Really?” he asked.  

“You were with me at the time.  You don’t remember?”

“No.  Sorry.”

“Nobody did a newspaper article about Joyce and the other helpers and their good deed."

The thing is, when the guy made it into a newspaper article, the recognition became his reward ( Matthew 6:2).  Those ladies in our tractor club have a reward coming later.  Are you wondering if I got up and helped the others that day?

Nope, I didn't.  And if I had, I'd have gotten in the way.  I'm one of those sorry people who never looks around to see how I can help, and when I try to help it seems I'm not helping much.  I'm ashamed to admit it.  Cliff likes to have people helping him who can see what needs to be done without bring told.  Folks, I need someone to tell me what to do.  When I worked on a job, I always did well on tasks where I did repetitive tasks over and over, jobs where I had no decisions to make.  

To read the Waffle House article, click HERE.

Now, I sent all the words above this line to our tractor club secretary in an email (except I forgot to put in the link to the article).  She replied that she didn't remember the incident.  But she said, "Like Cliff, I don't remember, I just have tried to always do what I thought was best or needed done."

I can attest to that, because when she and her husband load and unload a tractor at a parade or other event, they work smoothly, quickly, and calmly together.  A perfect team.  When our club secretary is around, things get done.  

Poor Cliff.  He got stuck with me; what a dud I am.  But I'm glad he did.  I'm just thankful there are people like Joyce in the world.

I'll leave you with this to think about:  We are scheduled to go on a bus trip to Jackson, Minnesota, leaving early Wednesday morning and coming home pretty late Thursday night.  If you look at a weather map of the USA right now, it doesn't look good.  We could deal with the cold, I imagine; but there's a chance of snow in the forecast.  If the roads are going to get bad, the trip may have to be canceled.  Most of the folks in the tractor club are not spring chickens, and we senior citizens aren't crazy about getting out on slick roads.

I intend to have a good week, whatever the outcome.  

Peace!

6 comments:

  1. I'm a lot like you, Donna. I mainly get in the way, although I'm OK at handing tools to people, as long as I know what they are. When you wrote Minnesota, my first thought was, NO. Too cold and too snowy this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think you're a dud at all. You have many gifts and they may not be a waitress but you have other important gifts.

    I agree with Margaret about Minnesota. Too many surprises in today's weather....especially in Minnesota! Too far north.

    ReplyDelete
  3. kindness is contagious. hope you have safe travels. godspeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm afraid I'm like you in that I have to be told what to do. I'm not good at just stepping in. Hope the weather stays good for your trip and that you get back home safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You'll be down in southern MN. There is only a 10 % chance of snow one day and 20% the other. But, its dang cold in MN today. We have a wind chill of -15 up in northern MN today. Ugh! Too early for this. I tend to try and help but usually end up more of a hindrance than not. We can get points for trying though, right? Have a fun time if you all go on your outing. Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joyce’s reward is yet to come. We can take our reward here or wait. Don’t let the left hand see the work of the right.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!