Friday, March 30, 2018

Drum roll please: THE SUN IS SHINING

It's been quite a while since we've seen the sunshine around here, so I was pleasantly surprised this morning to see the sun coming up in a cloudless sky.  As I type these words, it's still shining.  However, the forecast shows a good chance of snow on Easter Sunday (also April Fool's Day; I mentioned this to the young man who carried my groceries out today and he said, "Yeah.  Poor Jesus."  

I'm still sinking deeper into my hermit mode, realizing this is probably the lifestyle that's always been most comfortable to me, so why fight it?  Here, there's no danger of my saying the wrong thing and later finding out whatever I said was inappropriate or embarrassing.  My dog is good company, refusing to be offended or embarrassed by any of my words.  And Cliff is used to my eccentricities.  As I read over this paragraph again, I realize it might appear I've had something cause my retreat from the public eye, but I can't think of anything like that.  It's just me.

I'm spending less time on Facebook.  That isn't really something I set out to do, but as I draw inward, I pull away from others and feel less comfortable when I'm out in public.  Facebook is about as public as one can get, and it doesn't fit me so well these days.  

I've been reading up a storm, though.  I do most of my reading on the iPad, choosing books from the library to read with the Kindle app.  I have a lot of titles reserved, but it may be awhile before I get to some of them.  I just finished a book by Fredrik Backman, author of "A Man Called Ove".  This book is "My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You I'm Sorry".  It took me awhile to warm up to it; I had problems figuring out the imaginary fantasy land where a little girl and her grandma spent time together, but once that started making sense, I loved the story.  Cliff liked "A Man Called Ove", but I didn't recommend this one to him because I figured he'd think all the superheros and trolls were ridiculous, and bail out early.

Oh my goodness, the books I have on hold:  Three more Fredrik Backman books; "The Mountain Between Us" by Charles Martin (I'm number 45 in line waiting for one of 4 copies; "Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk" (that doesn't even SOUND like something I'd read, but I must have heard or seen someone recommend it; "Sisters First", by Jenna Bush Hager; "Fire and Fury", by Michael Wolff; and "Never Look at the Empty Seats", by Charlie Daniels... I'm number 17 in the waiting line for that, with only two copies available.

It seems strange to me that they limit the copies of cyber books a library can loan out.  Why couldn't they just make more copies?  It's all out there in the invisible world of cyberspace, right?  So there's no valuable space taken up on a shelf.  Oh well, I'm just thankful there are free library books to read, without my having to make a trip to the library.  

After finishing my book yesterday, I looked on the library website for something that's available right now.  
Seeing this, I thought the author must be some sort of comic.  I can always use a laugh, so I checked it out.  All I had to do was read a couple of pages to find out the guy is pretty funny, but he isn't actually a comedian.  He's a sportscaster.  I'm sure some of my readers knew this, but I'm not a sports fan.  I'll read his book, though, if it holds my interest.  Cliff likes football, so maybe he'll be interested in reading it on his Kindle.

Thursday Cliff got blood taken for the PSA test that will tell if the radiation did its job.  The doctor's office will call with the results.  

I guess that's it for today.   

Peace. 




     


2 comments:

  1. I've been retreating a bit from the world too, and I'm not sure why. I wouldn't consider myself an introvert, but I get tired of the work of being social. Have you read The One in a million boy by Monica Wood? It's quirky, but quite lovely and the ending is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The few sunny days we get do deserve a drum roll for sure. I need to find out how to get library books on my Kindle. I don't know if that even works. I do a lot of reading too.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!