Saturday, August 01, 2015

Pigs grow fast

Especially when they get almost two gallons of milk every day.


This is how Stanley looked on June 28, about five weeks ago.  The farmer who sold him to us figured he weighed about 18 pounds.  


I took this picture of Stanley yesterday.  Amazing, right?  I keep saying he weighs at least 50 pounds, but honestly I don't have a clue.  

It's hard to know exactly how to formulate his diet.  You can't just feed a pig corn and expect him to grow well; they need a certain amount of protein to make the corn do what it needs to do.  I know Stanley gets lots of protein from all the milk he drinks, but is it enough?  I still give him some supplemental protein once in awhile.  I must be doing something right, from the looks of him.

Protein is pretty pricey.  Corn, right now, is fairly cheap, all things considered.  So the less protein I have to buy for him, the better.  I suppose I had better keep on milking that cow!


2 comments:

  1. I can remember the pigs on my grandparents farm. They had an actual pig house for them that was fenced in all around it. I can also remember them wallowing in the mud there. Scraps were saved from the table for them in what they called the slop bucket and carried out to put in their trough every day. They always squealed with delight when they say us coming. Yours should be loving the extra milk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's porky pellets (grower) you can feed for protein and stuff. Here locally it's about $10/50lb bag. No matter what Pete feeds them as they grow, he usually switches to all corn for the last few weeks before butchering. He's a very pretty little fellow!
    Life & Faith in Caneyhead

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!