Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Chickie

Chicken on my lap

Chicken on my foot

Chicken on an old lady's shoulder

I'm keeping Chickie in a cage in the chicken house with the older chickens during the daytime.  Most evenings I go outside and turn them all loose.  I retrive Chickie from her cage and go sit in a chair where I watch the others have fun.  Chickie stays with me, although tonight she flew over in the middle of the flock, where she was promptly put in her place and forced to run back to the only person she really trusts... me.  When I'm ready to shut the bigger chickens up in their house, I bring Chickie in with me, put her in her box, and cover it up until morning, when I return her to the chicken house.

4 comments:

  1. Yep, you have a tame pet chicken, Donna!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chickie is precious. Great photo of you and her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. House chicken? Maybe this would help :) http://www.fastcoexist.com/1682253/this-chicken-diaper-is-a-solution-for-messy-urban-poultry#1

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was a teenager we had a bantum chick that got underfoot of one of our horses, then attacked by the rooster. Not expecting it to live through the night, but too soft to put it out of its misery, my mom put it in a box and gave it to me to look after. Well it did survive and so I started taking care of it. It stayed in my room at night, and in a cage on the lawn during the day for about a month. My cat even tolerated it. I have quite a few pics like this from that time!
    By the end it had made friends with the ousted old rooster and was pretty much fully grown so we let it out with the rest of the chickens. Next day it got trampled by a different horse for good. Guess it didn't learn...

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!