Sunday, August 03, 2008

Well, it's hot


My sister-in-law introduced us to "beer-butt chicken" yesterday. It's so named because you stick an open can of beer up the chicken's butt and then grill it. If the picture looks a bit cloudy, it's because I brought the camera out of my cool, cool house out into the hot, wet outdoors, causing it to steam over.

I haven't had much to say lately, I know. Not that I ever did have much to say; but that didn't stop me from saying it anyway. I've been enjoying all the comforts of my "new" home.

I lived over sixty-three years without air conditioning. For sixty of those years, I pooh-poohed the idea of having A/C. After all, my grandma got by just fine, canning and cooking and quilting through the hot Missouri summers. What a bunch of pansies people have become, I'd tell folks, with a sneer on my face.

Now I have a cool place, and I'm converted. With high temps nearing 100 and humidity so bad it feels like you'd do well to develop fins, I thank God every time I step into my cool, comfy house.

I now have a front porch, and I usually drink my first cup of morning coffee there, watching hummingbirds drink sugar-water from the feeder.


Sadie has been enjoying the porch with me; sometimes she lies down in front of the deck box, like below. Other times she'll set up camp on the bottom step.


I know it's hard to tell in this picture with Marvin's weeds in the background, but the Lombardy Poplars we planted in spring are as tall as I am now. Hard to believe they were only twigs last May.
Life is good here in the Missouri tropics.

10 comments:

  1. So how does beer-butt chicken TASTE?? Heh. She said butt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the same here in Arkansas Donna.
    It was 103 just a few minutes ago. The humidity is awful.I swear you can wring the air out.The wind isn't blowing either.
    I hung out clothes the other day, and I was wetter than they were before I finished. The poor animals are sitting around almost a sleep.
    Your trees sure have grown.By next year they will be taller than your house.
    I hope you've had a good weekend.
    God bless. Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are not kidding!! It is like the tropics!! Our lights went out yesterday(Sat) afternoon! Karen had us come over there!
    I didn't have AC until the late
    60's! Now I am spoiled!! Bad! I love my AC!
    I did most of my canning without the AC! But there was a few years I put up everything in a cool kitchen!!! Now I don't do any of this!
    Love and hugs, Grams

    ReplyDelete
  4. This weather is just gross. The boys even said the pool water was too warm. But they got in and Daddy put the hose in there and helped. I am glad you are enjoying the A/C. Looks like Tuesday before we get improvement.

    Stay cool!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you sure we are not twins separated at birth. Every time I come here, I find amazing similarites. We have wind chimes and bird feeders on our back deck. We like to take coffee out there in the early morning. It is up one story because we have a walk-out basement. I also have a link to Randy Pausch's lecture! As for the A/C, I think we get aclimated to things. I have lived in Ohio most of my life. It gets hot and humid here but not like it was in Florida, where we lived briefly. We got used to Florida and when we moved back, I couldn't believe all the people who complained about the heat and humidity in Ohio. Ha ha! It is a matter of what you get used to. My parents didn't put central air in our house till after I grew up. You don't miss what you never had, I guess. I like the A/C but not up too high.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always wondered how people made it here in MO and KS before the AC. I think it also has to do with the way the houses were built. Where I come from many houses were built from a thick sand-stone-like material, they were not prone to heating up or cooling down too fast. Now I live in a particle board box which would melt 2 hrs after AC shuts off.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We done that Chicken before,it ok ,but I like just pain old BBQ chicken dripping with sauce.You know the kind from your ears to your elbows.

    I'm so glad your enjoying your new home. I set on my porch and drink coffee too. Good for over 60yr old bones. I didn't really have A/C until about 15 yrs ago....What were we thinking. My silly hubby went out and mowed in this heat about 4 today....didn't have to...just trying to beat or neighbor. A little game they been playing for 20 yrs. Men....

    Stay Cool my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pansies. Grow fins! ROFLOL! I just love your straight forward humor, Donna. Great photos, btw.
    Blessings,
    ~Toni~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous2:57 AM

    hey donna,
    glad you are enjoying your new porch....i miss having my coffee on my patio, now that I leave for work at quarter to five in the morning.....I can't blog right now, I need more than my measly allotted two hours on the 'puter to fix things.
    loopymama aka loopysandqueen

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do love my air conditioning too. With hot flashes it is a must. Everybody freezes when they come to my house so I say put on a sweater. I love my porch too. I love to sit out there when there is a raging thunder storm and watch the lightening and the wind blow the trees. Weird I know.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!