Monday, August 25, 2008

Rebates, and why I dislike them

When we were ready to move to our mobile home in July, I needed to buy an electric dryer and a portable dishwasher. My sister-in-law, who was moving into our old house, wanted a new electric stove and a portable dishwasher.

We headed to Sears and found a wonderful sale: Purchase one appliance, get a 10 percent rebate; purchase two appliances, receive 20 percent; purchase three or more, the rebate increases to 30 percent. Of course, this all had to be charged on a Sears card.

Between us, we were purchasing four appliances. I agreed to put all those on my Sears charge so we could get 30 percent back. My share would be $189.00 and Rena's would be $309. She paid me cash for her purchases that very day, so there were no problems there.

I read the instructions on the rebate form and sent the receipts in. About a month later, I received a rebate check of $59.99... which was ten percent of the price of my dryer. That's it.

I called the rebate center (obviously stationed in India) and was informed I had only circled one item on the two receipts. I was supposed to circle all items that went toward the rebate.

I won't bore you with the rest of the details, but it involved two faxed letters that had to be written just so, and another month of waiting.

Today I got the remainder of our rebate, so alls well that ends well. But I think I'll avoid rebates from now on.

5 comments:

  1. I have to file the rebate on a cell phone we purchased. The information is like WAY down a long strip of paper that looks like a cash register receipt and reads like a legal contract. There are filing deadlines in miniscule print. I hate them,too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate them too. They always find a way to get you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, I had Sears rebate issues once. They said it wasn't valid. But it was and the hassle in the end was so much, we just threw up our hands and said heck with it! I hate rebates too. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I'm also from Missouri - Warrensburg. Born and raised in the same town. I heard about your blog from "Talk to Grams". Thought I'd come by and say howdy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I JUST HATE SEARS
    know how you feel

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!